• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

SV returning after long-term storage

I need to finally get the Alpine back on the road after 10 years of storage. At that time I needed to do: 1) replace T-fitting between Strombergs 2) replace clutch slave cylinder 3) clean paint/coat inside of fuel tanks 4) rear axle hub/bearing seals Any help on where to get the parts, watch...
  2. B

Alpine in NCSL poster

Just got a poster at work and they have an Alpine in the background. http://www.ncsli.org/
  3. B

Availability of SV Fuel Pumps or rebuild kits?

Running down the highway for a couple of miles and the engine starts to stumble. If I coast for a bit it recovers but begins again after a short distance. If I stop and let it idle for a minute I can go again for a mile or more. My first guess is that the fuel pump needs to be fixed or as I...
  4. B

Looking to rebuild/replace slave source ?

I see VB has a non-original replacement clutch slave $30 VB rebuild kit $9 I am able to do machine work but am looking for what is the best bang for the buck approach for a long time fix to the drippy slave. Thank you, Charles I love the priming feature on the fuel pump what a gas!
  5. B

Bypassing brake booster

Since every winter the brakes are dry and I don't think the booster works anyway so I removed the short brake line from the booster to the proportioning valve. Then I removed the line from the master to the booster and reformed it to loop back to the proportioning valve. Brakes seem to work fine...
  6. B

Why does all my fluids disappear over winter?

Every spring I take the SV out of the garage and both the clutch and brake master cylinders are dry and both systems need to be bleed. Once done both are fine all summer with no loss of any fluids. Charles
  7. B

SV on TV in U.K.

Just got back from London and I got to watch an hour of TV. The first thing I turn on was a show, like in the US, where a couple of antiquers are running around the country buying stuff and selling at auction to see who is best. Amazingly this Amelia character was shown driving her powder blue...
  8. B

Dan sold his Alpine, where will we meet?

FIrst it was Jack and now Dan, Who's left? Jack at least still has a Sunbeam so maybe we can get him to organize another get together. If anyone is interested we could always do one of the Saturday Anoka shows. Let me know. Charles
  9. B

Osseo, MN Intermarque car show May 11th

Anyone thinking of going to this show(http://intermarque.org/imm.kickoff.html)? I think my neighbor (midget) and I are going. It looks like there is a meeting space for clubs to gather so they can then get co-located spots. parking starts at 9 and show runs from 10-3. It is also free so that...
  10. B

Minnepolis area ping

Just checking to see if anyone is still out there. I put a new alternator in and am working on the long list of fixes needed for the upcoming season. Hope everyone survived the winter and we will see you at the Anoka shows whenever they start. Charles
  11. B

Valve cover gasket pushing out

I just put a new paper style gasket under the valve cover after setting the gap about 1000 miles ago. Now I see that the gasket has pushed clear out from under the cover all the way around. Funny that it does not leak any oil. What is the recommended replacement? I see the red silicone ones on...
  12. B

What to ask for MuttII parts.

I had acquired a 1974 Mutt2 2.8L with matching bellhousing and 4speed (less flywheel and clutch). Decided to keep the SV stock and with local interest by others in converting I would like to pass it on to someone. We have disassembly everything and the block most likely will need to go 0ne over...
  13. B

How do you remove the SV tach?

I need to do Tom's repair and don't want to muck things up try to figure out how they come out of the dash. Please let me know. Thank you, Charles
  14. B

First step to the dark side

I was considering putting a 5.0L I have into my SV but it seemed like to much work and to much power (350hp). I never was a fan of the 2.8 having had them in their prime. But after reading the many good and easy things to converting to a 2.8 I kept an eye on craigslist occasionally and the local...
  15. B

66 SV Alt Bearing R&R then Dash light intermitant

I was running at high speed and right as I got home the car made a funny metallic sound and died. Turned out to be the alternator ball bearing cage failed and locked it up. So, I replaced just the bearing and now the Amp meter shows 20A right after starting and the dash light comes on. Once the...
  16. B

Oil pumped out onto road from SV

Oh the horror, I just finished changing all the coolant hoses and refilled system. Decided to take it out of the barn to make room for changing the oil on another car. So, I started it for the first time in three months. The temperature was about 35 F. After cranking for 20 seconds the engine...
  17. B

Conversion wonderings

I simply love the little SV and do not wish to cut it up for a conversion and really think a finned car would be better still. So, keeping in mind that I see how well the v6 packages and performs at a level I would be happy with, I have a pile of new/rebuilt components enough to build a 5.0L...
  18. B

Water pump now making noises (SV)

I am thinking the shsssing sound that is most prevelant after running for a while is the waterpump bearings. So for over the winter along with the growing list of repairs I mayaswell do the waterpump. ANy insight as to what the best method is: 1) VB replacement $50 2) Bearing replacement...
  19. B

1725 engine ticking?

Now that the carb. is, more or less, set-up the engine has a tick. Much like a tappet tick. I have just checked and adjusted the lash so I don't think this is it. Any chance that the AC fuel pump likes to tick? It is engine cam speed related. Thank you, Charles
  20. B

Stromberg Needle keeps falling out?

How tight do you need to be on the set screw? This time I really torqued it up. seems like a crappy way to hold it in (a brass set screw in a steel cylinder against a ?Brass or steel needle). I need to figure out how to set the main jet to balance the two and get the A/F correct (Any tricks?)...