• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 SV Alt Bearing R&R then Dash light intermitant

bohemianway

Donation Time
I was running at high speed and right as I got home the car made a funny metallic sound and died. Turned out to be the alternator ball bearing cage failed and locked it up. So, I replaced just the bearing and now the Amp meter shows 20A right after starting and the dash light comes on. Once the Amp meter gets to zero the light comes off and only comes on occasionally at low idle until battery is fully charged. Then it stays off.

Any thoughts, ideas, experience?

Also, I was pondering replacing the alternator with a Delco 11SI since it is extremely close to the same mounting. I would have to fabricate a new lower mount which is rather simple. The question is since the 11SI has a built in regulator I assume I need to bypass all of the old external regulators and stuff. Is that a non-event conversion or are there many pitfalls?

Thank you,
Charles

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
66 SV Alt

The Delco has been done many times, although smaller Japanese alternators currently seem to be more popular here on the board. To answer your question - Yes, bypass the Lucas controls and let the Delco do its thing.

I have been running a 75 amp Delco for over 10 years with good results.

Good Luck!