• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stromberg Needle keeps falling out?

bohemianway

Donation Time
How tight do you need to be on the set screw? This time I really torqued it up. seems like a crappy way to hold it in (a brass set screw in a steel cylinder against a ?Brass or steel needle). I need to figure out how to set the main jet to balance the two and get the A/F correct (Any tricks?)

Thank you,
Charles

George Farrell

Donation Time
Charles
Many years ago, I had the same problem and finally used a file to make a v-shaped groove in the needle boss. Crude, but it worked.

George

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Has the needle fallen out more than once?

A Colortune kit is the best way to make sure the A/F is correct. Then get a unisyn to balance the two carbs.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Isn't there a procedure to "centralise" the needle? Seems if it weren't centered, the slight side load would tend to "walk" it out over time. I think it's covered in the WSM link on our home page.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Use a non hardening thread locker to seal and hold the needle (the needle, not just the needle screw).

Solves two problems, the needle loosening and loss of damper oil out of the bottom of the piston.

You do still have to centralize the main jet of course.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Was the carb piston in question falling with a 'thunk' at the bottom? If so, the needle probably wasn't dragging - at least not enough to cause it to become dislodged.

bohemianway

Donation Time
THanks

I will study up on these items. So far the car runs fine. I just need to add this to the couple of dozen must fix items for the winter.

Thank you,
Charles