• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Conversion wonderings

bohemianway

Donation Time
I simply love the little SV and do not wish to cut it up for a conversion and really think a finned car would be better still. So, keeping in mind that I see how well the v6 packages and performs at a level I would be happy with, I have a pile of new/rebuilt components enough to build a 5.0L Algerish:

1) What ballpark $ range should a semi-rust free body/chassis be for such a project? I see nice cars for around $3,500 but I am guessing that is to much ( I also am trying to keep this on a tight budget)

2) Has anyone converted the rear to a 8.8 Ford IRS (T-Brd)? I have a few and can build up the sub-frame myself.

I am guessing that I will talk myself out of it since the stock SV I have is a blast to drive. I just worry about reliability especially since I tend to flog it pretty hard.

Thanks for the advice,
Charles

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As for the 8.8 IRS...

That is probably out of the question.
Unlike a solid axle which can be narrowed, an IRS setup requires room for the suspension arms, drives axles/CVs and the stub axle and its carrier.

As the Tbird is MUCH wider than the alpine, you just wont be able to get it to fit and without re-designing the whole IRS, it will not fit in the alpine space.

The Miata and RX7 has an IRS thats probably a lot closer to fitting and both are plenty strong.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Irs

Here is a picture of my current IRS (FFR) set-up at 59.25 inches. It would need to be shortened up and possible converted to torsion springs. It is just a thought. However, I will look into the Miata etc. for simplicities sake.

Thanks

Attachments

• IRS.jpg
    IRS.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 57

bluoval

Donation Time
cost of a roller body

Bohemian 3 yrs ago i picked a striped body in good shape for $ 1500 ,I had a parts car. But I also had to purchase All ner rubber seals striping clips And ect to do a total resto on the v6 conv. By the time all was said and done I Have enough in the v6 alpine that I could have bought a nice tiger driver. but I wanted a total resto alpine v6. It must be noted that i Farmed out a good bit of the work..
Good luck Earl bluoval

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Irs

We used a 8.8 in the V8 Alpine but we made it a 4 link coil over + panhard
rod, we bought a decent body for 1200 and three parts cars and a garage
full of parts for a grand to complete the deal. we sold most of the parts for many times more than we paid, we were just in the right place at the right time, we also farmed out nothing but the paint, interior and the motor took
18 months start to finish.

This car is for sale by the way. jkgriffs@yahoo.com

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
As for the 8.8 IRS...

That is probably out of the question.
Unlike a solid axle which can be narrowed, an IRS setup requires room for the suspension arms, drives axles/CVs and the stub axle and its carrier.

As the Tbird is MUCH wider than the alpine, you just wont be able to get it to fit and without re-designing the whole IRS, it will not fit in the alpine space.

The Miata and RX7 has an IRS thats probably a lot closer to fitting and both are plenty strong.

Has anybody thought about a Sabura IRS.?My grandson is looking into it for his 63 Spitfire.a couple of brackets would be about all it needs to be fitted