• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1725 engine ticking?

bohemianway

Donation Time
Now that the carb. is, more or less, set-up the engine has a tick. Much like a tappet tick. I have just checked and adjusted the lash so I don't think this is it. Any chance that the AC fuel pump likes to tick? It is engine cam speed related.

Thank you,
Charles

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Grooves from the valve stems can form in the valve rockers which give added clearance to the lash even though you set the valve lash according to factory procedure.

When the engine ticks, its usually valve lash.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
sometimes you can find the offending tappet by slipping a thin feeler gauge, say 0.003 or so into each gap while the car is idling. It takes a bit of an ear to hear the difference because with the valve cover off it's all pretty noisy- and messy!

Tom

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
When trying to find stuff like that, I use my stethoscope -- just one from the auto parts store. Pop the valve cover, and check/compare at the base of the rocker, same place on each valve. Soon, you'll hear a noise that matches what you hear without the steth. I made small arbitrary adjustments, then checked my work with feelers. Keep the revs low and it's not too messy...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
When trying to find stuff like that, I use my stethoscope -- just one from the auto parts store. ...

Indeed, stethoscopes are really useful for this sort of diagnosis and don't cost a lot. You can also use the method my Dad taught me... use a long screwdriver and put your ear up to it, moving it around until you get to the loudest area. With both methods, however, mind you stay well clear of belts and pulleys... having the stethoscope ripped off your head can hurt, and so can a flying screwdriver.

Grooves from the valve stems can form in the valve rockers which give added clearance to the lash even though you set the valve lash according to factory procedure.

When the engine ticks, its usually valve lash.

If you don't have a "ClickAdjust" tool (Google it), then the best way I've found to precisely get a proper adjustment on cupped rockers is to simply use a dial indicator... set it up as close as you can to the contact point on the back of the rocker. Works fine. Of course, the real fix is to have the rockers resurfaced/re-profiled, and most cam grinders (Delta, etc.) can do it for you rather inexpensively.

And whereas I do agree that most often a 'tick' is from a valve clearance issue, I have, however, heard a very similar sound come from valve damage (burned valve or seat) where the 'tick' is actually the sound made by the blow-by during the power stroke (thus both sound like they are 'cam speed' because it only happens on every 4th stroke). The difference is subtle... the valve lash problem is slightly more sharp or 'metallic' sounding, whereas the blow-by lacks that sharp element. However, to an inexperience ear - or indeed, sometimes even an experienced one - they can sound very similar and listening to either problem via stethoscope (or screwdriver) will pretty much land you at the same place on the motor. You can diagnose the valve blow-by by pulling the spark plug for each cylinder, one by one, and see if the sound changes or if it disappears altogether... if so, you've very likely got yourself a bad valve or seat. Absolute diagnosis can be done by pressurizing the cylinder with compressed air, whilst both valves are closed for that cylinder, and listening at the intake and exhaust for 'hissing' air as it leaks past the valve.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Thanks for the responses

I will take the valve cover off and look at the rocker pads. Are they flat or curved? I just don't want to damage the engine since it seems to be really strong at this point (2000 miles and oil is still amber colored. Plus it spins the rear wheels easily in first gear.

Thanks,
Charles

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
They are curved, but don't try to re-curve them yourself with a file or anything... you can do a lot of damage... get it done professionally.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Does the "2000 miles" refer to a recent rebuild? Did it just start making the ticking sound since you set up the carbs or does it go back further?

Pitted lifters or cam lobes can add a lot to the tappet noise.

If you don't have a stethoscope, a length of heater hose will often do the trick.

bohemianway

Donation Time
Winter project

I will most likely check these things out once it is inside for the season (Minnesota). Since the car had sat for 20 years I probably should check the springs (I have a tester), cam surfaces, rocker surfaces (If they were flat I have a surface grinder), blow-by, etc. I need to change out all of the engine rubber components anyway (most are original). I just want to be carefull because it is not leaking oil and it runs strong. That probably is not the norm.

Thanks again,
Charles

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I will most likely check these things out once it is inside for the season (Minnesota). Since the car had sat for 20 years I probably should check the springs (I have a tester), cam surfaces, rocker surfaces (If they were flat I have a surface grinder), blow-by, etc. I need to change out all of the engine rubber components anyway (most are original). I just want to be carefull because it is not leaking oil and it runs strong. That probably is not the norm.

Thanks again,
Charles

There are essentially ZERO rubber parts in the engine (save the valve stem seals).

If its not leaking, I certainly wouldnt mess with it.
If it turns out to be grooved rockers, R&R is done with the valve cover off alone as the whole set of lifters, pushrods, rockers and its shafts are 8 nuts away from freedom and Delta cams is well known to resurface lifters and rockers very economically.
The lifter faces will tell you what the cam faces look like.