• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. W

Electric fans

I have been away from the board for awhile while I have been working on my '83 Honda Magna motorcycle. I am trying to keep the wife happy by only working on one toy at a time in between working on her projects! My '62 Alpine has been sidelined for a couple of months. Somehow, 2 of the fan...
  2. W

Clovis British Car Roundup

The 2008 Clovis British Car Roundup is scheduled for October 11 & 12 (Car show on Sunday the 12th). http://valleybritish.org/clovis_british_car_roundup.htm This is a nice show with lots of cars. Like many other shows, three cars make a class. Assuming no mechanical problems, I will have my...
  3. W

SII Bonnet seal

I see some pictures of engine bays with a seal around the back and other with just the plain steel piece. Which is correct? And if the seal is correct, where can it be found. I don't see it in either SS or VB catalogs. Thanks!
  4. W

SII Alive again

My SII has been down with a broken transmission for the winter and spring. I got the transmission back from the shop way back in February. After spending much of the beautiful California spring working on the Alpine a hour or two a week (trying to keep the wife happy!) I finally got everything...
  5. W

Zenith Air Filters

Any ideas where to find replacements for the Cooper pancake style air filters for the Zenith carbs? I like their look, but my are getting kind of tired looking. I looked at a small top-hat filter for 50's Chevy pickups, but they were too tall. Another option would be instructions on how to...
  6. W

Installing Transmission Tip and question

Last night I finally got time to install my transmission. The mechanic that overhauled my transmission gave me a little tip for installing it. He had a headless bold the size and thread of those used to bolt the bellhousing to the engine block. You screw it into the top hole in the block then...
  7. W

Input Shaft bushing

I took off the clutch cover to replace the clutch disk before I reinstall the transmission. When I got it off, the input shaft bushing just fell out. The last time I had the clutch out, it was a major job to get the bushing out. It looks like it has been loose its place for some time; the...
  8. W

Pacific Coast "members"

Add me to the list of people interested in the Pacific Coast Chapter. I am down in Fresno. 1962 Series II, currently up on blocks waiting for the transmission to come back from the shop and a few minor cosmetic fixes. As the list grows, it would be nice to know who and where people are...
  9. W

Photo Gallery idea

Would it be possible to have a category/section in the photo gallery that is specifically for close detail picture? Things like how the clutch slave cylinder gets mounted, how wiring and tubing should be routed, etc. Just a thought.
  10. W

SII Front valance pictures

My SII has some damage to the front valance. I am looking for some clear picture of a nice straight valance and the sheet metal behind the grill and around the radiator to help correct it. I have the grill out so I can get to most of the sheet metal and would like to get it as correct as...
  11. W

Transmission overhaul

The shop manual provide dimensions for several "dummy layshafts" needed to disassemble and reassemble the transmission. Is there any particular material that should be used for these dummy shafts? Is aluminum acceptable or is it too soft? Do the procedures involve any pounding on the dummy...
  12. W

Grill & Trim fasteners

Since I have the radiator out of my Alpine SII for another project, I decided to take out the grill to straighten it. It looks like I am going to need some new trim fasteners to hold the chrome trim in place. Also, some new push fasteners to hold the grill bars to the upright spacers. And...
  13. W

Updating Oil Filter

I have seen a number of pics of SIIs with the spin-on oil filter. I understand that just requires replacing the filter mounting plate. Any idea of sources and costs for that adapter plate? Is the spin-on filter readily available? I have the NAPA part number for the canister which means I can...
  14. W

SAOCA in Classic Motorsports Magazine

Great half page write-up about SAOCA and the Invasion 2007 in the January 2008 issue of Classic Motorsports magazine. Nice paragraph about the unscheduled Engine Swap tech session. If you haven't seen it, this is a nice magazine for sporty cars. http://www.classicmotorsports.net/
  15. W

Valve Cover finish

I have seen several different finishes on the Alpine valve cover: completely painted, painted with the raised Sunbeam casting polished, all polished, polished with the recessed part of the Sunbeam casting painted (some black some body color). Any idea what was the stock appearance of the valve...
  16. W

HELP - Transmission locked-up

As I pulled away from a stop sign today, all of a sudden the transmission locked up. First, second, and reverse now appear to be completely locked up. I was able to limp the 2 blocks home in 3rd. The car is a SII, but the transmission is out of a later model with all-synchro (well, they used...
  17. W

Distributor Rebuilder

After being parked for 2 years, my '62 Series II is back on the road, thanks largely to the fine rebuilding work done by Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributors in Shakopee, MN. He installed a new bushing (rejected the one I got from Moss due to its poor quality), installed a Pertonics...
  18. W

Zenith Carb linkage

Can anyone tell me if this is the "stock" linkage for the Zenith carbs on a Series II? And if it is, is there anyplace to get the disk/ring that connects the the two yokes? Or is this something that I would have to manufacture myself? Mine is working but has a crack in it so it is going to...
  19. W

Fuel lines at carbs

My series II has what look to be simple 1/4 inch copper tubing as the fuel line to the carbs. Is this stock? There are 90 degree elbows at each carb with the lines connected to that. These elbows tend to work loose with the engine movement, which doesn't seem like a good idea. Any thought or...
  20. W

Distributor parts

My distributor needs a couple of parts that I have not been able to locate. I am looking for the distributor shaft bushing and the springs for the centrifugal advance. ( I stretched the springs as I was trying to dismantle the distributor; should have read the SM better!) The distributor has...