• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Fuel lines at carbs

wframe

Donation Time
My series II has what look to be simple 1/4 inch copper tubing as the fuel line to the carbs. Is this stock? There are 90 degree elbows at each carb with the lines connected to that. These elbows tend to work loose with the engine movement, which doesn't seem like a good idea. Any thought or suggestions on how this should be done?

Thanks!

S

Steve Kirk

The original fuel line is steel not copper. It goes from the fuel pump to a T section and then splits to connect to each carb.

dannym

Donation Time
I strongly discourage the use of copper tubing as fuel line in an automobile. Copper fatigues or work hardens very readily with vibration and may fail. My 55 t-bird suffered just such a disaster about 40 years ago and experienced a serious engine fire, while on the road at 70, with my yet-to-be wife driving. Car was saved by some travelers who were willing to sacrifice all their beer to put it out and no one was injured, so I was very lucky. Needless to say, there is no copper tubing on any of my cars. Old tractors, now that's another story.
Danny

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I wonder if the copper lines are really brass? Copper is a soft metal.

Not meaning to quibble! The S IV has copper tubing to the carbs and I will upgrade it to steel tubing.

"Copper" might/must have been a readily available option at one time through the years, and installed without concern for the car down the road a decade or three...

Allan

wframe

Donation Time
Correction & pictures

I look a little closer last night. I was wrong, they are not copper but steel as they should be. They just do not look like they are the "stock" arrangement. Here are links to a couple of pictures of the carbs and the fuel lines. The real problems are the 90 degree elbows going into the carbs, especially on the rear carb. That one cannot be tighten down any more as the linkage interferes with it. Any comments/suggestions on the correct connections of the fuel lines to the carbs would be appreciated. I'm guessing that the lines should be flared with male fitting that go directly into the carb and bent to get around the carbs.

http://alpine62.home.comcast.net/CarbFuelLine_01.JPG
http://alpine62.home.comcast.net/CarbFuelLine_03.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
fuel lines

this is not the original setup for the fuel lines.the original made a turn just past the valve cover and ran towards the rear of the motor between the valve cover and the carbs. it had a T that ran in front of the front carb and the line made a 90 degree turn and had a male fitting . the line had a compression ferrell on it to seal tight when tightened down. the main line made a turn in front of the back carb and ran between the carbs and made a 90 degree into the back carb using the same style fitting.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yeah, and your clutch line is not correct either. The original goes back to the firewall and also makes a flex section (about 3-4 coils loop around) to keep the line from fracturing.
ALso back to the fuel line, the P.O. used pipe threads for the fitting. That's not right because the threads in the carbs are machine threads. So the threads are probably buggered up.
Jan

Nickodell

Donation Time
Not necessarily. There are transition fittings with pipe thread at one end/side and machine threads at the other.
Pressurefittings003.jpg

The setup appears to be a workmanlike job, rather similar to what I had on Matilda in her CD150 days. The only snag may be dissimilar metal corrosion in time. Looseness may just need the compression joints to be tightened or replaced.

wframe

Donation Time
Yeah, and your clutch line is not correct either. The original goes back to the firewall and also makes a flex section (about 3-4 coils loop around) to keep the line from fracturing.

Jan

The clutch line does have the coils/flex section, it is just down below the steering box, where you cannot see it. I discovered that little necessity when I drove the car home from the auction where I bought it 15 years ago. I went through several lines before Rick at SS told me about the need for the coils.

Thanks for the comments about the original routing and setup of the lines. That is kind of what I was expecting. I will try to set it up somewhat similar to the original. Is sounds like it will look a lot better.

wframe

Donation Time
Jan, Thanks for the picture. Wow, I wish my engine bay looked like that! A picture like that of the fuel lines to the carbs would be really great!