• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Grill & Trim fasteners

wframe

Donation Time
Since I have the radiator out of my Alpine SII for another project, I decided to take out the grill to straighten it. It looks like I am going to need some new trim fasteners to hold the chrome trim in place. Also, some new push fasteners to hold the grill bars to the upright spacers. And finally, some fresh screws to hold the end pieces of the grill to the body. Any ideas about sources for these parts? Also, is it really stock to use little screws to attach the grill end pieces to the body? The ones that were there when I removed it yesterday look like about 3/8 inch long #4 or #6 slotted head, countersunk, wood screws or maybe sheet metal screws. Does that sound right?

Any help will be appreciated!

wframe

Donation Time
Thanks, Dennis, I see the chrome trim fasteners in the SS catalog. I'll order them today.

Can anyone clue me in on how the chrome plates at the end of the actual grill are supposed to be attached to the body sheet metal. Is the stock method really the little slotted, flat head screws? If so, I'll go looking for some stainless ones.

Thanks!

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Is the stock method really the little slotted, flat head screws?

That's what's holding mine on, in a Series V.

Tom j

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes the chrome end pieces of the grill were originally fitted with the small slotted/countersunk screws. However they can be easily replaced with modern stainless ones as long as the heads don´t protrude.

cheers

Bernd

wframe

Donation Time
Sounds like a trip to the local full service hardware store with the old ones in hand to find nice new stainless steel ones of similar size. And a phone call to SS to order new trim clips.

Thanks!

wframe

Donation Time
Since I have had to take it off for this repair, I assume there may be a need to remove the grill again in the future. In my mind, having to drill out pop rivets is just asking for the drill bit to slip and ding the chrome or even worse, the paint. Since it has been held on with these little screws all this time, I think little stainless one will be the answer.