• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Input Shaft bushing

wframe

Donation Time
I took off the clutch cover to replace the clutch disk before I reinstall the transmission. When I got it off, the input shaft bushing just fell out. The last time I had the clutch out, it was a major job to get the bushing out. It looks like it has been loose its place for some time; the outside is pretty beat up. This leads to a couple of questions:

First, what would cause it to get so beat up?
Is there supposed to be a shoulder at the bottom of the pocket that the bushing and shaft go into? (There is one in mine. It appears to keep the bushing from going all the way to the bottom of the pocket. Thus the end of the input shaft extends beyond the bushing.)

Regarding the clutch, my old plate is an 8" plate, but the new one I got from SS is a 7 1/2" plate. Are they interchangeable?

Thanks for any thoughts, information, or ideas!

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The pilot bushing shouldn't be beat up (Show a picture). Was it replaced the last time? The ones that I seen are just a round cylinder with a hole, nothing else.
I don't have any old friction plates here, but I think it should be 8" OD. The 1725 series V plate might be 7", again I don't have one handy to measure.
Jan

wframe

Donation Time
Yes, the bushing was replaced the last time. I remember because I such a hard time getting the old one out. I finally had to run a tap into it to thread it. Then I ran a bolt down into it until it bottomed out. Once it hit the bottom of the hole, I continued to tighten the bolt which pushed the bushing out. This time it actually fell out as soon as I removed the clutch cover.

I had a problem with the transmission locking up, which was due to a problem with the input shaft. I wonder if that problem resulted in some wobble in the shaft which caused the problem with the bushing. I wouldn't be surprised since there was damage to the roller bearings and bearing race at the other end of the input shaft.

I'll contact Rick at SS where I got the clutch plate. I'm sure he can make it right. I see he carries both an 8" and a 7 1/2" plate. I'm going to have to order a new bushing anyway.

As soon as I can find my camera, I'll post a pic of the bushing.

Thanks!

wframe

Donation Time
Pilot bushing installation

My new pilot bushing arrive from SS. I will post a picture of the old and one this evening.

Question: Does the bushing fit all the way down into its hole in the crankshaft or does it sit a little proud of the hole? Looking into mine, there looks to be a shoulder to prevent the bushing from bottoming out in the hole. Wondering if this is to allow the pilot portion to go all the way through the bushing? Or possibly to make sure you can get a hook under the lip of the bushing to pull it out?