• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. mamoose124

Selling my 1962 Sunbeam alpine

I’m selling my alpine after ten years. It is a unique Alpine in that it has all the factory options the available in the day but most did not have when purchased. That is 1) Hard top, 2) Electric overdrive, 3 Oil cooler, and 4 Tonneau cover. In addition, I rebuilt the Roots redesigned...
  2. mamoose124

Water temp gauge

Hi guys, it has been a while since I posted here. After restoring my 1962 Alpine I have spent most of my time enjoying it. It now has over 6,000 miles on the new engine and is running fine. A joy to drive. However, recently the water temp gauge has begun to register at the 190 F mark but the...
  3. mamoose124

SII Seat restoration

My SII seat leather looks great but the foam is old and crumbling leaving a mess on the matting under the seats. I did a google search on my iPhone for SII seat repair and received a thread from SAOCA that talks about the SII seats not having springs and that the foam sits directly on the pan...
  4. mamoose124

Wheel & Pinion Set

My rear end went out. I need the following hard to find parts. In Sunbeam Specialties catalog (p10) they are shown in the exploded diagram as #3 Wheel & Pinion Set. Do any of you fellows have them in good condition?
  5. mamoose124

1962 SII restpraton complete

On January 1, 2020 I turned over the 1725cc engine I built for my restored 1962 Sunbeam alpine. I now have 545 miles on the engine run-in and expect to have the final 1,00 miles completed by this week end. It runs beautifully. I did all of the restoration work myself except for the paint job...
  6. mamoose124

Water temp gauge

My water temp gauge has worked fine for many years. Yesterday, however, it began to fluctuate radically finally settling to the far right. If I put my finger on the gauge and press firmly, the needle moves properly to the mid range. When I let of the pressure, it may stay at the mid range for...
  7. mamoose124

Generator Pully

My Lucus C40 generator went out and I purchased a British Parts Northwest Generator/Alternator conversion which comes without a pully. The pully off my C40 is not straight and is a bit loose on the alternator shaft so I ordered one from BPN. However, my original pully is 3-1/2" in diameter and...
  8. mamoose124

Zenith Carbs

I have two sets of Zenith carbs with intake manifolds and I am wondering if one set is better than the other. One set is a 150 CD Stromberg that came off a 1725cc engine, the other set is a Zenith 36 WIP 3 1800118 1744F and 36 WIP 3 1800119 173443R. The question is, which set might be...
  9. mamoose124

1592cc Engine & 1725cc parts for sale

I am downsizing and losing my shop. I really need to find homes for a 1592cc engine and a 1725cc engine block. I live in Gordonsville Virginia so if you live near me and are interested in the engines, come pick them up. I don’t have room for the other parts either, so I will ship: you pay for...
  10. mamoose124

Vacuum reading

Do any of you know what the normal vacuum reading should be for a 1725cc engine at idle? Or, where I could find this spec?
  11. mamoose124

British Parts Northwest Alternator/Generator

I now have 153 miles on my rebuilt 1725cc engine and she is running beautifully. However, my generator has given up the ghost, as some of us old-timers say, and I'm looking at purchasing one of British Parts Northwest Alternator/Generator conversions. Their representative says it will fit in...
  12. mamoose124

Torqing head for 1725cc engie

I just installed my 1725cc engine and am on the first 300-mile leg of the break-in period. My question is the torque speck for the final 700-mile leg of the break-in period. The Workshop Manual spec calls for torquing the head to 48 ft/lbs. However, the Roots Bulletin 68/3 on 28 Feb 19689...
  13. mamoose124

SII Restoration nearly completre

My friend and I dropped the 1725cc engine in my SII on December 27th. We spent the next couple of days hooking up the new oil cooler (had to order a couple of banjo fittings from Mocal), etc. Cranked it over on 01/01/2020. I have 102 miles on the car now and it runs beautifully. (see attached...
  14. mamoose124

Run In Recommendations

I ran a search on this site for Run In requirements for a rebuilt engine but could not find any. I read somewhere the following recommendations for running in a rebuilt engine: 1. Run engine for 300 miles, change the oil & filter. 2 Let the engine cool completely, remove rocker assembly and...
  15. mamoose124

Crankcase ventilation System

My 1592cc engine had no crankcase ventilation valve and the tappet chamber was simply vented directly into the environment via a rubber hose draped over the bell housing at the back of the engine. I’m installing a 1725cc engine but since I don’t have a ventilation valve, I’m wondering where I...
  16. mamoose124

Removing my SII Throughout Bearing

The spring steel clips holding in the throughout bearing are clearly drawn and described in the WSM 125 workshop manual. However, the spring steel clips on my 1962 Sunbeam are rounded spring steel clips (see photos) that fit differently than those described in the WSM 125 manual. The WSM 145...
  17. mamoose124

1592 VS 1725 cc engine flywheels & clutches

I have a good flywheel with a new ring gear and a good clutch disk and pressure plate I removed from my 1592cc engine. This is a 10 spline clutch. Will this flywheel and clutch set up bolt directly to a 1725 cc engine or must I use a flywheel for a 1725cc engine? I have read one of the...
  18. mamoose124

SII carpet

I purchased a carpet for my SII from Classic Sunbeam Auto and after laying it out in the car, I am unhappy with the fit. Several of you have indicated that CS and SS have decent carpets. My quetion: Is the SS carpet better cut that the one I received from CS or are they about the same? Or, is...
  19. mamoose124

Electronic Ignition

I'm about to install my 1725cc engine into my SII and am thinking of installing an electronic ignition. I have looked at Pertronix. However, I am having difficulty determining which Pertronix is appropriate for my 1725cc engine. Also I'm wondering if I should get the distributor or keep my...
  20. mamoose124

Wiring up my circa 1960sPanasonic transister radio

I am about to wire up the circa 1960s Panasonic transistor radio that was in my car when I dismantled it for painting. It wasn't working at the time so I don't know if it does work and I don't know how to test it to find out before installing it in the car. The radio was made by Matsushita...