• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carbs

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I have two sets of Zenith carbs with intake manifolds and I am wondering if one set is better than the other. One set is a 150 CD Stromberg that came off a 1725cc engine, the other set is a Zenith 36 WIP 3 1800118 1744F and 36 WIP 3 1800119 173443R.

The question is, which set might be the best one to keep and restore?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Are you considering them for a S2 ? Then definitely the Zeniths. The Stroms are a pain in the a..

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
The Zeniths that you have are the best of the Zeniths used on Alpines, so please don't bin them if you decide not to use them! The big problem with the Zeniths is the throttle shafts wear the carb body and then suck air in around the shafts. They are not hard to rebush though. Check for any slop in the shafts. Second problem is that parts for the Zeniths are hard to find. Though asking on here for a specific part is the best chance of success.

Fitting decent air filters is important, as the original wire mesh 'filters' are great for keeping rodents out, but that's about all. I bought pancake filters with foam inserts for the Zeniths that fit under the bonnet line nicely from Sunbeam Specialities.

I had my Zeniths fully rebuilt about 20 years ago and they've been fine ever since. I ended up with 130 main jets (actually drilled out some 112's) and they seem to suit the 1592 engine well. I think Jarrid Gross recommended that jet? The carb rebuilder told me not to go nuts with big return springs that put a side load on the throttle shafts. Put the spring on the linkage, not the carb (I know, a point of failure and potential for stuck throttle, but that was his advice).

Despite what it says on the carbs, check that the internal components are all the same between the two, lots of interchangable sizes on various carbs which will muck up your carb balance. I'll try to attach a chart of jet sizes if I can find it.

Good luck, let us know if you need help/parts, and of course which way you choose to go.
Cheers,
Paul.

Attachments

• carb jets.jpeg
    carb jets.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice chart though. Who compiled that ?

P.S. Every modification on the air filters change the airflow so careful main jet resizing is mandatory...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have two sets of the Zeniths with manifolds also. Looks as I recall the linkage is there, they look very nice and clean. PO said they were good ones. Need to dig them out of storage and identify.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Worthwhile to dig them out. Acc. to the 4-digit code we can get them identified.

P.S. What still puzzles me are the above codes . 1744F is correct and suits S2. They other one should read 1744R but shows to many digits (typo ?)...