• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring up my circa 1960sPanasonic transister radio

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I am about to wire up the circa 1960s Panasonic transistor radio that was in my car when I dismantled it for painting. It wasn't working at the time so I don't know if it does work and I don't know how to test it to find out before installing it in the car. The radio was made by Matsushita Communications Industries of Japan and can be switched either + or - ground. However, looking at the wiring coming from the box stumps me. Instead of having one yellow full-time hot wire, one red "key-on" wire and a black ground wire, plus speaker wires, there are only thee wires emerging from my radio: one blue wire with half of a fuse holder attached. I assume this is the full-time hot wire that is normally yellow. Only two remaining wires emerge from the box: both are grey and I assume they are for wiring the two KRACO speakers under the dash at each side of the car. As far as grounding goes, I assume I can simply ground the radio case but I have no idea how to hook up the other three wires. I have googled my head off and can find no simple wiring diagrams that illustrate how to hook up this radio. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Think you are right with assumption that the blue one with fuse holder remains must be the hot wire. Grounding via chassis or antenna shield. If there are are only two other grey cables they must be the speaker connections. Would assume it's a Mono Radio then...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,
The yellow wire that is common with today stereos is a constant power to keep the clock running when
power to the car is shut off. You are correct that the blue wire is the power wire and it is keyed on power.
The other two are speaker power and ground(for the speaker) as that's most likely not a stereo. You can split
them with wires running to the two speakers you have under the dash, but it still won't be stereo.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Steve