• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Water temp gauge

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
My water temp gauge has worked fine for many years. Yesterday, however, it began to fluctuate radically finally settling to the far right. If I put my finger on the gauge and press firmly, the needle moves properly to the mid range. When I let of the pressure, it may stay at the mid range for moment or two but swings again to hot. I put nearly 100 miles on the car yesterday with the gauge acting this way and the engine is not overheating. Is it time for a new gauge or is something else likely amiss?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The problem is somewhere within the gauge. I am not familiar with their construction, but it is possibly an electrical problem. When you press on the gauge does it move enough to possibly change electrical contact?

Bill

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I'm just going to throw out a guess here, if the gauge is working correctly by pressing on it, I would think it has to be an electrical contact. Possibly a ground? I would certainly start there. Or it's making contact with something else electrical?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series 2 gauge? Start simple - remove and reattach the B & T wire connections on the back. Also make sure the gauge housing has a good ground.

Mike