• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

British Parts Northwest Alternator/Generator

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I now have 153 miles on my rebuilt 1725cc engine and she is running beautifully. However, my generator has given up the ghost, as some of us old-timers say, and I'm looking at purchasing one of British Parts Northwest Alternator/Generator conversions. Their representative says it will fit in my car. They look like the original generator but are advertised as ". . . an Authentic looking Generator that in fact is a High output 45Amp Alternator, giving a massive increase on performance with the added advantage of also being light weight, weighing in at only 7.5 Pounds." Have any of you fellows used one of these alternator conversions from BPNW?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike,
Get yourself a Hitachi 14231 Alternator. I think they were used on Datsun 620 pick ups. They are easy to
hook up and inexpensive too! I'm sure if you asked Tom H or Loose_Electron on here they could guide
you to getting this together very quickly! They are both very knowledgeable about this.

Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
45 amp doesn't actually sound that powerful. If you have any additional electrical equipment it might be worth putting a higher output one such as a 70 or 75 amp on.

Tim R

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Everything is relative. 45 amp should be adequate. It is 30% more than stock and is available throughout the RPM range.

Bill

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys for the suggestions. I have read about the Hitachi (and other) alternator conversion Steve, but the problem with those conversions seems to be finding one, bracket size, etc. The advantage of the BPNW generator/alternator conversion is that it will fit on my current bracket just like the original. I think I will take a chance on the 45 amps as my system functions very well now on an original generator and, as Bill reminds us, it is 30% more than stock.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys for the suggestions. I have read about the Hitachi (and other) alternator conversion Steve, but the problem with those conversions seems to be finding one, bracket size, etc. The advantage of the BPNW generator/alternator conversion is that it will fit on my current bracket just like the original. I think I will take a chance on the 45 amps as my system functions very well now on an original generator and, as Bill reminds us, it is 30% more than stock.

Mike, what is the part number?

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I was able to obtain a Hitachi 14231 alternator from one of the national auto parts houses, but it was a few years ago. I'd be curious if these happen to be getting more difficult to obtain. Obviously a Datsun 620 pickup isn't a popular vehicle on the road today. Actually, mine is a Mitsubishi 14231, so they are obviously producing the same alternator. The 3 terminals on these can vary in look, but have the same three functions... output to battery, output to warning light and input to sense system voltage. Yes, I had to modify the alternator mount to the block by elongating the holes to shift the position of the alternator to keep the V belt inline with the other engine pulleys. This is a non-destructive change that could be slid back if returning to the original alternator. I did not experience any other issues with mounting.

Tom H has documented the changes to the wiring as these alternators negate the need for the 3AW warning light simulator and the 4TR regulator as these are built into the newer alternators. Many keep these in place for an original look. I retained the use of the 6RA relay for voltage sensing. I modified a series 5 Alpine wiring diagram to reflect the changes in place using the 14231 alternator.

Rick

AlpineWiringDiagram-SV-color - Alt Mod new.jpg

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
The Hitachis are still readily available. I bought one this past fall.
Just Google Hitachi with that part number and it will bring up the link for it at every major parts house.