• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. old grumpy

The race car?

I am told that this car has been racing in US. Right or wrong https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/weekly/car-detail/lot-144-1964-sunbeam-alpine-series-iv-race-car?fbclid=IwAR2tamEhRU0S-mT4jMeKvpqSHsHUU3yhBoaNo-ZyRGphwSejW9JP5VU4874
  2. old grumpy

A racing Alpine in UK

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1562030?utm_campaign=saved-search&utm_source=email-alert&utm_medium=email&fbclid=IwAR27v415qU2MRz-5c2haDQswiZYGHFA4j6BK6P5jSPS30XpTCDTSJgHxmqk
  3. old grumpy

1600 crankshaft

I am building an 1600 engine from "quite good parts". I have two crankshafts. One is an EN9 that are inside the tolerances on big-ends and main bearings, the other is an EN19T (from an Rapier I think) but tolerances are on the limit or even 1-2 thousands of a millimetre outside. As I am not...
  4. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

Now and then I read about cross-drilling the crankshaft to get more oil to the 3:rd conrod bearing. This operation is not that easy. Is it still mandatory for the fast revving motor? Has everyone who is operating a racing or go-fast engine done this?
  5. old grumpy

Crankshaft

I thought I had a EN16 crankshaft, but looking closely, one was a EN19 and the other EN9 What says the metallurgist. I guess it's nothing to rely on over 5500 rpm?
  6. old grumpy

Extremely difficult problem or what??

My Minx 6 (with Zenith 34 IV carb.) has always been running as if the acc. jet had some dirt or blockage because it is hesitating a little when the pedal is pressed. On the other hand has the car has used surprisingly little petrol, so I didn't want to touch anything that would make it go back...
  7. old grumpy

Combustion chamber capacity

I have always assumed the alloy head from 1600 and 1725 are similar and the same combustion chamber capacity. But is it so? 1600 have shorter stroke - less c.r.? Piston bowl is similar. I can't find any info about the size of the 1600 alloy head in my books. Anyone who knows?
  8. old grumpy

Oil pumps rotors

The wide one: 1 1/8 (28.3 m.m.) 5-bearing engine the in-between: 7/8 (22.2 m.m.) 1600 3-bearing engine The narrow one 11/16 (17.4 m.m.) ? Anyone who have any ideas about the last one Anyone who need it?
  9. old grumpy

pos. earth rev counter

Is it complicated to convert a positive earth rev counter to neg.? Have this been up before maybe? Kristian J
  10. old grumpy

ARP bolts

Anyone using ARP bolts and nuts? I am as usual worried about the con rod bolts.
  11. old grumpy

rectifier and slip ring

New Rectifier and Slip Ring for the 16ACR alternator: $7 kkj@bikab.net
  12. old grumpy

Head worm

How unlucky. The alloy worm could have gone on the other side! Old grumpy
  13. old grumpy

Back to the twin Zenit question!

"RootesRacer" said in another thread: Yeah a properly configured set of 36 WIPs especially with gravel strainer air cleaners will outperform even a weber DFV. So, but has anyone actually tried? The DFV are supposed to be the second best after a twin DCOE set-up. In Historic racing in...
  14. old grumpy

combustion chamber volume

I am trying to find information about the combustion chamber volume. Probably there are somewhere here, but where? The old "tube" head and the newer Arrow range head. Anyone who knows?
  15. old grumpy

Head gaskets

Condition of head gaskets from engines that have come into my possession. Interesting fact: none of the engine was blowing (appreciably), some some cooling fluid was leaking a little. But I guess it was on the edge.
  16. old grumpy

Drill the crank?

Can anyone tell me about drilling the crankshaft. It is often said that it is good to make an extra oil channel from the middle (third) main bearing journal to the second and third con rod journal. (have I got it right?) How is this done properly?
  17. old grumpy

Piston

I did release a 81.5m.m. piston out of a 1600 engine. It didn't have the regular stampings on top. The letters was: FQF STD ( AE made) Any ideas ?
  18. old grumpy

Tidy engine bay

Does it have to look that messy around the Alpine engine? Where can I find a photo of clean Alpine engine bay? How necessary are the two support rods? The left one are often missing because of the carbs.
  19. old grumpy

Ginetta G21

This is my substitute Alpine. It has the same engine, gearbox, overdrive and back axle. (and some other Rootes bits & pieces) Is it allowed on a Alpine meeting??
  20. old grumpy

Twin Zeniths

I have the twin Zenith carb. setup with inlet manifold that was on the early models. How does it work? Do you manage to adjust it properly in spite of the (probably ) worn spindles. Does the car use a lot of petrol?