• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Back to the twin Zenit question!

old grumpy

Donation Time
"RootesRacer" said in another thread:

Yeah a properly configured set of 36 WIPs especially with gravel strainer air cleaners will outperform even a weber DFV.

So, but has anyone actually tried? The DFV are supposed to be the second best after a twin DCOE set-up.

In Historic racing in Europe you are only allowed to use the original carb configuration so you are stuck to the twin Zenith. Is it possibly to make it work with a full race camshaft?
Bigger Zenits maybe??

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
"Original carb configuration" Does that mean two single barrel downdrafts? If so, look into the single pot Webers.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
The ford zephyrs used zeniths and i think they had 38 and 40 versions.. i belive some alpine racers in the past may have used some parts from those carbs in theor rcae cars to help the carb situation.

As for "orginal" as in as it left the factory floor? The harrington alpines 1600xx from SII were offered with twin DCOE's.. and the alpien was homologated for FIA competition with twins and another cab option... if you go to my webshots page there are copies of the SIV alpine homologation papers.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As far as the zentihs go, the factory offered a "tuning" kit which featured a larger venturi and a larger main jet. IIRC you also had to drill out the air corrector, which is not replaceable.

Its not going to flow like twin DCOEs, but if you are stuck with zeniths, thats what i would do.

old grumpy

Donation Time
....................and the alpien was homologated for FIA competition with twins and another cab option... if you go to my webshots page there are copies of the SIV alpine homologation papers.

You are right!!

Homologated for the Le Mans race or what??

alpine_64

Donation Time
You are right!!

Homologated for the Le Mans race or what??

Not for Le Mans but for FIA competition (which Lemans was part of) The harrington that won TITP class in '61 was on Zeniths, the '63 cars were on webers at Le Mans and they also ran them on the targa florio cars of the same year.

Brabham offered his own manifold and twin DCOE setup from 1962 which must have been homologated for some sort of modifed production racing. The Harrington had DCOES from hartwell as an option (stage III) but harringtons might fall into a catagorey like an elva courier etc.. low volume production cars that run with more standardised cars

did you view the FIA papers i had online?