• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. ChrisR

Horn Ring Finish (Chrome or Paint)

Does anybody know how SV Horn Rings were finished when new? The outer ring was chrome. But what about the 2 spokes? Were they originally chromed too or were they painted black? Mine are black but need repainting or maybe re chroming. If painted, was it gloss or matt finish? Seems a bit odd to...
  2. ChrisR

May Need New Big End Bearings

I am thinking that I may have to change the big end bearings. Over the winter, I refurbished the oil pump. I reassembled everything, filled with oil, injected oil down the filter supply to aid in priming and cranked the engine over a few times with the spark plugs loose. Then tightened the...
  3. ChrisR

SAOC UK Horn

Do we still get copies of the Horn from the UK? I only see issues up to last October? Thanks, Chris
  4. ChrisR

Oil Pan Inside Finish

Dropped the oil pan today to access the oil pump. Noticed that the inside of the pan seemed to have been painted at sone time. Not sure it would be coked oil, but who knows. So my question is, how should the inside of the pan be finished? Should it be painted or not. If yes, what type,of paint...
  5. ChrisR

Soft Top Seal at Windshield

Trying to confirm the correct orientation of Soft top seal as it mates against the top of the windshield. Last time I got caught out in a downpour, I had water running down the inside of the windshield. Not sure I had the seal uniformly touching the windshield frame along the full length. If the...
  6. ChrisR

Rear Axel Gaskets - SV

I have pulled the half shafts so I could remove the Diff, and am ready to re install. Looking at the parts catalogue, there are 2 gaskets shown (Item 45) 1229702 "Joint (.006") - Grey" and 1229698 "Joint .010" Brown". I assume one goes between the brake backplate and the hub/flange of the diff...
  7. ChrisR

Leaf Springs - Paint or Not

Any recommendation for clean up of Leaf Springs? They are dismantled and only showing general surface rust and some pitting. Typical of a 50 yr old car that has been fairly well looked after. Should I remove the loose rust and paint with POR15? Or paint with something else? Or should I leave...
  8. ChrisR

Fuel Tank Contents

Found the stuff in the picture in my fuel tanks. Pics do not include all the paint flakes. Cannot find the items listed in the WSM???? Wondeing if they need to be re installed after restoring the tanks.
  9. ChrisR

History Lesson Please

As far as I can see, we have 2 main clubs. The SAOCA and TEAE. The SAOCA seems to have the most active forum. I am informed that there will soon be a Canadian chapter of TEAE. (I am in Canada). Up to now I am a member here ( need to renew). I may end up joining TEAE too. I am sure that is the...
  10. ChrisR

Diff Seal Replacement.

Diff is fine but leaking from the housing seal. I will install a new gasket. W.S.M says Disconnect/remove driveshaft. Done. Remove cover fasteners/nuts. Done (some of the studs came out too). Pull the rear cover/housing from the main housing. Need comments. It will move back about 1/4" but no...
  11. ChrisR

Alternator Bracked Snapped Again

Last year my Alternator bracket snapped. The top one that adjusts the belt tension. I installed a new (used) one and now that has snapped too. Broke close to the top bolt on the Alternator. The previous one was the offset version. The current is a straight/flat one with a spacer. By eye it looks...
  12. ChrisR

Overdrive Switch

I know that they are hard to find, but am looking for an Overdrive switch. Column switch and stalk opposite side to the indicator. Mine has broken. I would even take another broken switch assy and try to make one good one from the parts. Have installed a momentary switch to engage the O/D and...
  13. ChrisR

Gas Pedal Re assembly

Very close to finishing all winter restoration / reconditioning work. This forum has been invaluable. I do not think the PO had the gas pedal installed correctly and I cannot find any decent pictures. I have the pedal with its extended rubber piece with 4 holes. Another rubber square pad with 4...
  14. ChrisR

Brake Master Piston Removal

Trying to re seal brake MS. SV. Girdling with metal cap over the end. Circlip and push rod removed ok, but piston will not come out. Something seems to be stopping the assy beyond the piston. It all moves ok and when I push the piston in there is nothing visible or "feelable" in the bore...
  15. ChrisR

Altrnator Adjustmet Bracket

I am looking for an Alternator adjustment bracket - SV. Mine has snapped along the slot, both sides. S.S. Have none and local auto stores do not have anything either. One of them said I should go to my dealer !!! Thanks Chris (Cold in Montreal)