• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Diff Seal Replacement.

ChrisR

Donation Time
Diff is fine but leaking from the housing seal. I will install a new gasket. W.S.M says Disconnect/remove driveshaft. Done.
Remove cover fasteners/nuts. Done (some of the studs came out too).
Pull the rear cover/housing from the main housing. Need comments.
It will move back about 1/4" but no further. What am I missing? I do not want to apply,too much force for fear of gear damage. Do I need to rotate or wiggle the shaft a little to allow the pinion to unmesh?
Is it really necessary to remove the drive shafts 1st? W.S.M. Seems to imply that.
Thanks. Chris

ChrisR

Donation Time
The Gasket (item 9) between the two housings. Main Axle housing (1) and the Differential housing (10). In my initial post by mistake, I called the Differential housing the rear cover. It should be removed forwards towards the front of the car, so I can install a new gasket. I can only move it about 1/4" forwards.

65beam

Donation Time
The differential housing can not be removed without removing the axles from the differential unit.. You can remove the bolts holding the backing plates to the axle housing and pull the axles with the hubs, brakes, etc. as a unit. The axles slide into the gears/ differential unit and prevent it from being removed from the housing. If the leak isn't bad and the housing will move a bit you could do a temporary fix by cleaning and squeeze some RTV sealer between the two housings and then tighten down the nuts. Check the housing vent to make sure it's open .