• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Leaf Springs - Paint or Not

ChrisR

Donation Time
Any recommendation for clean up of Leaf Springs?
They are dismantled and only showing general surface rust and some pitting. Typical of a 50 yr old car that has been fairly well looked after.
Should I remove the loose rust and paint with POR15? Or paint with something else? Or should I leave them unpainted and just smear on moly or graphite when re assembling.
Thanks, Chris

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I would sandblast and powder coat them, you will never have to do it again. I just did my car trailer, and love it.
P.S. my whole trailer is powder coated :D yes, everything.
RIMG0644-L.jpg

IMG_3962-L.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I removed the loose rust and smoothed out the grooves (from wear) that were locking the leafs together. Reassembled using plastic leaf liner material between all leafs and installed. Any kind of "wet" lube will hold dirt, creating an abrasive compound. Paint (and powder coat) will wear off, leaving you with what??

When I did my springs, it seemed that the pros (heavy spring rebuilders) were fogging the spring assembly with black paint. I don't remember what I did. Do whatever makes you happy. I doubt the springs will know the difference. I do recommend removing the grooves and using the liner. When reassembling, alternate leafs from side to side. i.e., leaf one "R", leaf two "L", etc. That gave me an even ride height.

Bill

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
When we have rebuilt our leaf springs we always wrap them with dense tape. This is a pre-greased warp that 'sets' around the leaves. The springs stay clean P1020388.jpg P1020468.jpg a d well oiled and free to move over each other and the dirt sticks to the outside of the tape.

alpine_64

Donation Time
When we have rebuilt our leaf springs we always wrap them with dense tape. This is a pre-greased warp that 'sets' around the leaves. The springs stay clean View attachment 15031 View attachment 15032 a d well oiled and free to move over each other and the dirt sticks to the outside of the tape.
Tim, that tape seems to be a good substitute for leather gaiters that high end cars used to fit.

Leather covers custom fitted to the springs with greased lining to keep them lubed and free from moisture and dirt

65beam

Donation Time
Bill,
I wondered the same thing. I searched it and found it mentioned on various U.K. forums. I found it on the U.K. e bay. It seems the primary use of "denso tape" is for wrapping steel pipe to prevent corrosion and rust and is used on house plumbing. It's a fairly inexpensive product.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,
I wondered the same thing. I searched it and found it mentioned on various U.K. forums. I found it on the U.K. e bay. It seems the primary use of "denso tape" is for wrapping steel pipe to prevent corrosion and rust and is used on house plumbing. It's a fairly inexpensive product.
That is interesting. Our steel pipe (hate that crap, unless you want your plumbing to double as clothes hangers) corrosion occurs on the inside of the pipe. Difference in climate and heating strategies, I suppose.

Bill

ChrisR

Donation Time
Got a decent quote for sandblast and powder coat. However, need to check that powder coating temp does not impact the tempering of the steel (leaves). I,think I read something previously on the UK forum.
Will buy some leaf spring liners as mine have grooves worn into them.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got a decent quote for sandblast and powder coat. However, need to check that powder coating temp does not impact the tempering of the steel (leaves). I,think I read something previously on the UK forum.
Will buy some leaf spring liners as mine have grooves worn into them.
Tempering will depend on powder baking time and temperature. Make some inquiries, I would not be surprised if someone automatically assumed that the heat will be a problem, which may not be the case. Tempering steel requires raising its temp several hundred degrees and maintaining the temperature for a long period of time.

I think that if the grooves are not relieved by grinding, the liner will be destroyed pretty quickly as it will be forced to conform to the shape of the leafs.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Curing powder coating typically takes about 400 degrees F., but the dwell time is very short. Once the material reaches the target temperature, the curing process is complete.

Don't know about leaf springs, but springs for coil-over shocks are routinely powder coated.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Barry is right.
We do a lot of springs and parts for SEMA, 400 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes depending on color. The only reason mine are not done, is I hate taking the fuel tank out. I have powder coated half my motor, motor mounts, fuel tank, sway bars, all the front suspension, brakes, drive shaft and my complete rear axle. If you are close to Bakersfield, PM me.