• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft Top Seal at Windshield

ChrisR

Donation Time
upload_2019-10-24_15-17-45.png
Trying to confirm the correct orientation of Soft top seal as it mates against the top of the windshield. Last time I got caught out in a downpour, I had water running down the inside of the windshield. Not sure I had the seal uniformly touching the windshield frame along the full length. If the top illustration is correct, it means that I have to run my fingers across the full span of the seal when using the soft top to ensure that part of it does not go like the bottom illustration. Any comments out there?
I did not look in the parts catalogue yet to confirm the correct seal is installed.
Thanks

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently bought one of these seals. It was foam and very squashy, not like what I had had on there before. It fitted but I felt that it would leak as soon as it rained and it didn't seem to protect the soft top front edge at all. In my box of old seals I managed to find a much stiffer rubber one that has a lip that warps up around the leading edge of the soft top material and seals around the top of the windscreen when the over centre catches are locked down. This is much better, it may even be a hard top front edge seal, I don't know, but it fits and seals very well. It might be worth playing round with a few alternative seals.

This might assist

Tim R

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently bought one of these seals. It was foam and very squashy, not like what I had had on there before. It fitted but I felt that it would leak as soon as it rained and it didn't seem to protect the soft top front edge at all. In my box of old seals I managed to find a much stiffer rubber one that has a lip that warps up around the leading edge of the soft top material and seals around the top of the windscreen when the over centre catches are locked down. This is much better, it may even be a hard top front edge seal, I don't know, but it fits and seals very well. It might be worth playing round with a few alternative seals.

This might assist

Tim R
The stiffer seal sounds like it is for a hardtop do you have the wedges for the toggle clamps. Not all cars had them they were installed on the production line. There is a company in England that makes them.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I don't think that there are wedges on the red car. I have seen them on other Alpines though.

Tim R