• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Horn Ring Finish (Chrome or Paint)

ChrisR

Donation Time
Does anybody know how SV Horn Rings were finished when new? The outer ring was chrome. But what about the 2 spokes? Were they originally chromed too or were they painted black? Mine are black but need repainting or maybe re chroming. If painted, was it gloss or matt finish?
Seems a bit odd to have 2 painted spokes of the horn ring covering the spokes on the steering wheel when the 2 spokes of the wheel itself are chrome.
Thanks, Chris

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Semigloss black for the straight spokes. Krylon semi-flat black works nicely.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So the aftermarket, totally chromed (or maybe SS rods) horn rings are not true to the original?

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
There are actually two aftermarket horn rings. The ones that you buy from SS are the all chrome
ones that you have to assemble and adjust ( and yes paint for originality) they have a solid thick
ring that's larger than the original ( stronger too)

The other ring available is from Classic Sunbeam. It's the one produced by Rootes Post in Holland.
They have a very nice ring that's almost spot on to the original. The spokes are already painted and
it comes fully assembled ready to bolt ( rather screw) onto your steering wheel.
I think cost is very similar too.
Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Only one data point - my original series V horn ring has faded black paint on the center bars. Not much sheen on the paint. It looks like paint on top of chrome. It is on my to-do list to repaint.

upload_2020-12-9_21-3-55.png

Mike

ChrisR

Donation Time
If I take a picture of my car from the same position, you would not know the difference between the two. (apart from the Dash pad). I imagine if I carefully remove all the remaining paint, there a decent shiny surface underneath?.... or maybe not.