• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Disc Brakes for a Sunbeam Alpine! Tiger?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
It may be the Corona virus. Many people are stuck at home doing home improvement projects and aren't buying anything.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
True, but I have no way of knowing sales. I am looking at owner interest, which appears to be approaching zero.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
True, but I have no way of knowing sales. I am looking at owner interest, which appears to be approaching zero.

Bill
I used to build front disc brake kits for Tigers and Alpines, I built fifty plus kits and found that you have to deal with people who seems to know more than the people building the stuff (so to speak)
I just quit it was simpler in my small world, I still get queries today and just turn them away.
And no matter how hard you work it'll never be enough!

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm finding the lack of response to be somewhat defening. Dan has spent undo hours on this project and has, by any measure, done an outstanding job. The project is of very reasonable cost, high quality, with no loose ends and addresses an often mentioned subject. I find it incredible that it and Dan have been totally ignored.

Have I misjudged that much? What am I missing?

Bill
It sounds like a great kit. I just wish I was far enough along to consider it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am very interested, but the virus has me laid off and I won't be buying many car parts until things turn around.

I am supposed to take the car in for paint at the end of the month. I doubt I keep that appointment at this time.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It sounds like a great kit. I just wish I was far enough along to consider it.
My feelings exactly! Hopefully, I will get to that point sooner rather than later, but there are a few other things on my plate ahead of this at the moment.

So, thanks Dan for doing this and Bill for providing the inspiration! I will definitely be in the market when the time comes.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
While I have been reading this thread with interest, I have a V6 with a Ford rearend (drum only from what I can find). I'm not sure I want to swap an Alpine 3.89 for a Ford 3.55 just to get disks. Time will tell.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
While I have been reading this thread with interest, I have a V6 with a Ford rearend (drum only from what I can find). I'm not sure I want to swap an Alpine 3.89 for a Ford 3.55 just to get disks. Time will tell.
Hillman, What Ford Rear are you running ? I may have brackets:) I am trying to get "all" Alpines fitted with the Disc.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I honestly don't know. I bought the car with the V6 done, and all the "identify your rear end" doesn't seem to help. The car is in storage now, but I'm planning to bring it home soon, if the snow finally melts so I can get it. I was told by the guy I bought it from it was a 3.55 and I know that it's Ford from getting new brake cylinders that fit but...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Colt had Disc on front.

Did not remove any valves. What is the reason to do so?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Drum brake masters usually have a residual valve right under the fitting. Disc brakes usually don't. There are aftermarket inline ones that Wilwood and Speedway sell. 2psi for discs and 10psi for drums. They keep the pads or shoes in contact slightly for firmer pedal and quicker response. Drum residual valve may make disc pads drag. I think you would have noticed.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I honesrly don't know. I bought the car with the V6 done, and all the "identify your rear end" doesn't seem to help. The car is in storage now, but I'm planning to bring it home soon, if the snow finally melts so I can get it. I was told by the guy I bought it from it was a 3.55 and I know that it's Ford from getting new brake cylinders that fit but...
If it does not have a removable cover, it’s probably an 8”. With a removable cover, it’s likely an 8.8”. Both were available with a 3:55 gear.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
If it does not have a removable cover, it’s probably an 8”. With a removable cover, it’s likely an 8.8”. Both were available with a 3:55 gear.
The little 6 3/4" diff that was stock in Pintos was also available in 3.55. It is a nice little unit, though not up to hot rod terriorism standards.
Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
It also has a cover. Looks like some early Fox Mustangs used it as well. There was also a 7.5” unit that came in Mustangs, Bronco II, and Ranger. It does not appear to be available with a 3:55.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's tough selling anything. I recall a much older Tiger owner. He had a really nice modified car. Air cleaner housings we're being sold on eBay over $1,000 some reaching as high as 1,600. I made the mistake of pitching one to this fella. What I got was a stern reply. $450!!! That's more than I paid for the whole GD car !
After I checked my jawbone to see if it was hanging open.
I politely thanked my elder prospect. Wow did I want to say it's your lucky day I'll give you five times what you paid for the car today.

Doesn't seem to be people being very free with their disposalable income right now.

Possibly some have responded by private messaging Dan. There's also the problem of people don't really always look here for their stuff. Some may think that a move away from stock is bad. There's also the small market for these cars to call it a micro niche . I cross posted the thread on CAT . If someone did the same on Fakebook Tiger page that'd be good. There's also my tried and true method of posting it on eBay. Nobody dislikes eBay more than me but not to go off the rails....
What I like to do is put a stupidly high price on it and then say look me up on the Tiger or CAT forum. I also leave other breadcrumbs sometimes whole slices of bread ;)

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Warren, glad to see the cross post. All in all, this rear disc setup is probably the best available for these little cars and I invite a close look from any interested party. Its the right size and is completely compatible with the Alpine parking brake. None other can make those basic claims.

Bill

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan,
Will this work with the brake master that was recommended to replace the stock unit? I believe it was the Datsun F20 unit. I’ll see if I can find the exact unit.