• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Disc Brakes for a Sunbeam Alpine! Tiger?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Datsun F10 tandem MC is a unicorn. In any case, the proper sizing of the MC (whether single output or tandem) is mostly a function of the front brake calipers (not the rear) and whether or not a brake booster is used.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I know I'm not Dan, but I also know this setup will work fine with a 3/4", 13/16" and 7/8" master cylinder. Braking effort will vary, not due to the rear calipers but to the size of the master cylinder. All else is the same. Now Dan says it works great with 11/16", I believe him.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series Alpines with a brake booster had 0.875" (7/8") master cylinders. Series Alpines without a brake booster had 0.700" (Series I / II) or 0.750" (Series 3 / IV / V) master cylinders.

11/16" = 0.6875" which is close enough for government work and should result in a little less (~8%) pedal effort than a 3/4" MC.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have two other Master Cylinders (1 ea 3/4 and 1 ea 13/16), I could change out to test what pedal difference would be? Main trouble is bleeding them.....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, the size of the master cylinder does not affect the relationship between the front and rear brakes. Just the pedal pressure needed to apply the brakes. Your rig will not suddenly go bananas because a different size master cylinder is installed.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I honesrly don't know. I bought the car with the V6 done, and all the "identify your rear end" doesn't seem to help. The car is in storage now, but I'm planning to bring it home soon, if the snow finally melts so I can get it. I was told by the guy I bought it from it was a 3.55 and I know that it's Ford from getting new brake cylinders that fit but...
I went to vist it today. No tag on the diff but I think it's an 8 inch. No removable rear cover, front looks like this:
20200411_142728[1].jpg

and axle mounting point look like this:

20200411_141804[1].jpg 20200411_142728[1].jpg

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hillman, The Hub Flange looks like the Mustang II. Very odd bolt pattern in my opinion. May be I'll take a picture tomorrow.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gordon, I have them installed on one of my SIV's rear axles with wire wheels.

Attachments

• Rear Disc Wire Wheel clearance        20200106_180431.jpg
    Rear Disc Wire Wheel clearance 20200106_180431.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Rear Disc Wire Wheel clearance        20200106_180625.jpg
    Rear Disc Wire Wheel clearance 20200106_180625.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 42

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That does not look like the 8" punken setting in my garage. The overall configuration of the ribs is different. The eight inchers are in a horizontal theme.

Bill

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Are the pictures showing the center section flipped?
I hadn't noticed but I think they are a mirror image. The pic was taken from under the driver's door so the battery box should be on the left. I somehow got the phone in 'selphie' mode and couldn't get it out so I took it that way.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
That does not look like the 8" punken setting in my garage. The overall configuration of the ribs is different. The eight inchers are in a horizontal theme.

Bill

uv53.jpg

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I went to vist it today. No tag on the diff but I think it's an 8 inch. No removable rear cover, front looks like this:
View attachment 19351

and axle mounting point look like this:

View attachment 19352 View attachment 19351

The pictured rear axle has a "drop-out" style differential carrier and the axle flange appears to have a trapezoidal (rather than rectangular) axle flange bolt pattern. I am reasonably sure that the only Ford rear axle with that combination of characteristics is the 8.8". For confirmation, the axle flange bolt spacing on the Ford 8.8" rear axle is 3.410" (top) and 3.076" (bottom).

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim,

You are clearly right about the Ford 8.8" not having a drop-out diff carrier, don't know what I was thinking.

The second picture in post # 106 certainly appears to show an axle bearing housing with a trapezoidal bolt pattern. As far as I can find, the only recent Ford rear axle with a trapezoidal axle bearing housing flange pattern was the 8.8". One possibility is that the picture is deceiving and the bolt pattern is actually rectangular. Another possibility is that the PO put 8.8" axle bearing housing ends on an 8" axle housing when the axle housing was narrowed. That seems goofy, but maybe the PO simply used the parts he had on hand.

The apparent combination of a Ford 8" axle housing and center section with Ford 8.8" axle bearing housing ends would explain Hillman's comment that all of the "identify your rear end" information did not seem to help.

To quote Alice, "Curiouser and curiouser!"

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a PIC's of my '78 Mutt II rear axle assy.

It has a bolt pattern on the hubs very similar to the one Hillman posted. The bolt holes are 3 3/8" across the top and bottom horizontal and 1 3/4" ? vertical each side.'78 Mutt II rear axle assy    20200413_111139.jpg

Here's Hillman's PIC of the hub with four holes to secure the axle.
axle mounting point look like this:

index.php

Last edited: