• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Disc Brakes for a Sunbeam Alpine! Tiger?

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
Jim,

The second picture in post # 106 certainly appears to show an axle bearing housing with a trapezoidal bolt pattern. As far as I can find, the only recent Ford rear axle with a trapezoidal axle bearing housing flange pattern was the 8.8". One possibility is that the picture is deceiving and the bolt pattern is actually rectangular. Another possibility is that the PO put 8.8" axle bearing housing ends on an 8" axle housing when the axle housing was narrowed. That seems goofy, but maybe the PO simply used the parts he had on hand.

The apparent combination of a Ford 8" axle housing and center section with Ford 8.8" axle bearing housing ends would explain Hillman's comment that all of the "identify your rear end" information did not seem to help.

To quote Alice, "Curiouser and curiouser!"

The bearing housing is trapazoidal. The top bolts are (aproximately, measured from a gasket I made and measured with a tape measure) 3 3/8" center to center, the bottom 3 1/16. Top to bottom, center to center is 1 11/16.

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
My bet is on the rear being from a Mustang II !
I think I agree with you Dan. When I bought new wheel bearings and brake cylinders for it, I suggested that they migt be from a MII. Turns out that those parts were, or were, at least the same. I also didn't mention (for whatever reason) the hubs were originaly 5 bolt but were redrilled for 4 bolt.

I know it's a long shot, but if you have mounting brakets for the rear end, I'm interested.

Al

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know it's a long shot, but if you have mounting brakets for the rear end, I'm interested.

Al

Beings I have the Mutt II rear axle I may make me a pattern. Not sure how many Alpines have the Mutt II rear ends but it could be worth the effort. We'll see:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, remember the brackets I sent to you can serve as a bad example (at least as a rough guide) for an 8" application. The 8" V6 guys should provide a waiting pool of high performance drivers wanting the best brakes.

Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill, I still have them! Forgot they were the 8"...… Memory fails sometimes. Your note jogs my memory even further....Joel gave me a set of brackets for a different rear end too. They are not Alpine so I need to figure what they fit. Something else to enjoy solving the mystery:)

Thanks to both of you Guys,

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I think you will have to use a narrowed axle to determine the exact mounting dimensions. Might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, as you go through the stuff I sent, just keep in mind that I was preoccupied with making it all fit inside a 13" alloy wheel, so you will probably see some bad choices that do not not make a lot of sense.
Keep an open mind and your sense o humor.
Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The bearing housing is trapazoidal. The top bolts are (aproximately, measured from a gasket I made and measured with a tape measure) 3 3/8" center to center, the bottom 3 1/16. Top to bottom, center to center is 1 11/16.

Al,

I sent a PM to you.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I've read what I could find on rear disc for a Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger. Lots of suggestions! It appears most are for a modified rear axle not a stock as coming on your Sunbeam.

On this site you will find there are lots of great ideas put forth for assisting with about anything you can imagine. In this case, much has already been provided to me in the form of advice and suggestions most of the ideas have been adopted. My good friend Bill Blue has been very generous doing machine work and giving me the 1st set of 1992 Saturn SC rear calipers and rotors he had used on his Alpine with the 8" FORD rear. They are fairly plentiful and economically reasonable to obtain. Jim Nichols and Barry Knight are always there when help is needed providing that keen expert knowledge I lack. Many thanks Guys!!

Owning several Sunbeam Alpines and being fairly familiar with their braking systems proves to me there is some improvement that can/could be accomplished to make it better. In this case I have taken the effort to design rear brake mounts/brackets that will easily adopt to the Alpine & Tiger rear axle whereby disc calipers can be added for better stopping power. The Saturn are designed with an E-Brake application similar to the Sunbeam.

The Mount Brackets my Draftsman/Engineer drafted up and laser cut are interchangeable (right or left). The E-Brake Lever is designed specific Right or Left (by flipping over) to replace the Saturn lever.

Pictures are worth more than I can adequately describe, so here are some PICs' (E-mailing tiger2dan at gmail dot com ). PIC on the top right is the stock Saturn E brake lever that needs to be replaced by my "Lever"
I do not feel a need for rear discs but appreciate good work. Your setup looks nice and very "clean" which may sound strange. Way back when we cobbled together parts from many cars of different brands things could get very weird. Rotors off one, calipers off another, flex-lines off a different model, and even some parts from ACE hardware...NOT A JOKE! Builders kept bearing numbers for Timken in the glove box, brake pad numbers, hose mfg. part numbers, and when new synthetic brake fluids came on the scene things got really weird. It is good to see professional looking parts actually "designed" for our Alpine on this site. And I still have my modified steering arm that allows about 1" extra space behind the motor Dan. It will be used...even if I have plenty of room without it...it just looks cool.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Is PROCRAFT Joel? I would prefer to use actual names in conversations but the wrong name is worse. Bill Blue is the only one I have met and he even allowed me to drive his nice Sunbeam. Dan is DanR, Hillman is ?, and Barry is...Barry. All actual names appreciated as I am sure I will have many questions.