• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. mint 61

Gearbox Issues?

61 Series 2. Installed a new clutch and flywheel last summer. Worked great for about 350-400 miles. Then a few weeks ago during my 3rd cruise this season, it suddenly started to lose power. Like a clutch slipping. Only made it a 1/4 mile down the street and turned around, barely had enough power...
  2. mint 61

Negative ground Coil Wiring

Hi All, It's been a while. So I just went through the process of switching over to negative ground, got rid of generator, went to alternator. I installed a Pertronix electronic ignition a while back. Flamethrower Coil. Switched the ignitor to a negative ground ignitor. Wired everything up, no...
  3. mint 61

Fuel Gauge Fogging up, stopped working.

Fuel Gauge is fogging up and no longer working. What kind of British wizardry makes this thing tick? Really haven't looked into it much, thought I'd run it by the experts . Pics coming soon. Thanks in advance.
  4. mint 61

Wanted: A good Zenith WIP 36 front carb

Sick of messing with this one. Looking for another one in good working condition.
  5. mint 61

Still No Idle

Can't seem to figure this one out. Had my SII running great for about a week, but now it wont idle at all. As soon as I let off the pedal, it sputters and dies. I'm relatively sure it's not in the ignition, new pertronix, plug wires, dist cap, sparkplugs. Could there be something goofy in...
  6. mint 61

Zenith WIP carb idle adjustment screw and spring

Mine wiggled out. It's the larger of the two adjustment screws, the one higher up on the carb near the vacuum inlet. Parts 34 and 35 on the wsm diagram. Spring to, also interested in the lower idle adj.screws with the knurled thumbwheel. For some reason mine don't have the end that you can grab...
  7. mint 61

Thought I Would Share

Updated Pic attached, still working out the kinks, but she's getting there!
  8. mint 61

Center Soft top Hinged Cover

I'm looking for the hinged center cover that covers the convertible top when it is folded down for a 61 SII Alpine. In black preferably. I'm located near Cincinnati.
  9. mint 61

no power

I'm back, this time with no power. Engine starts and idles pretty well, it just doesn't go anywhere very well. As soon as you let off the clutch, it bogs down and struggles. I get a cough from the carbs every once and a while, and a slow, rough acceleration. Strap yourselves in, because this...
  10. mint 61

Flooding

Got clutch issues worked out, took it for a test drive....aaaand broke down at the gas station.:( It ran like a scalded dog until it died when pulling into the gas station. It seems to have flooded itself. Let it drip out of the intake for a while, about 10 min, and it started back up. I'm...
  11. mint 61

No power transfer?

Uggggghh. Just got done with a brake rebuild, go to take a spin and try it out, and now the tranny goes into gear, but won't turn the drive shaft. My first instinct is the clutch, but wouldn't it not want to go into gear if the clutch went bad? The clutch is prob original, but the car only has...
  12. mint 61

intake manifold drain nut?

After I shut down my SII, there is gas leaking from a nut on the bottom of the intake manifold, it's leaking right onto the exhaust header below which is a bad thing for obvious reasons. I've looked through the wsm to no avail, can anyone shed any light on this bolt, is its purpose to drain...
  13. mint 61

What's It Worth?

Hi All, My insurance guy wants a value on my 61 Alpine Series II. Pics Attached. I'd say it's in very good-excellent condition, all original, runs well. I speculated about 6-7k, any better estimates? I'm also about to have new VB rims and tires on it as well. Thanks in advance.:cool:
  14. mint 61

Anybody know what this piece is called?

Or where to find one?
  15. mint 61

Maiden Voyage

Got to take my 61 S2 on it's first road test since probably around 1982. Here's the good, bad, and the ugly. The Good: I got it at a pretty good idle before I left the house, and gave it a much needed bath. It still had a pretty nice shine under all that dust. The brake master and...
  16. mint 61

Anybody know if these wheels will work?

I'll admit I'm pretty oblivious as to backspacing, clearances, etc on my 61 Series 2. The bolt pattern, diameter and width seem to be ok. I'm wondering if I can shine these babies up and pass them off for Panasports....hehe. http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/pts/3767188147.html
  17. mint 61

Master Cylinder Rebuild?

First time posting here, I've recently inherited a 61 series 2(I think) Alpine, it's sat in a garage for 30+ yrs, and its in pretty good shape. I just started tearing into it today, brake system first. I'm guessing the seals on the master cylinder piston are rotted, I couldn't get any...