• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

No power transfer?

mint 61

Donation Time
Uggggghh. Just got done with a brake rebuild, go to take a spin and try it out, and now the tranny goes into gear, but won't turn the drive shaft. My first instinct is the clutch, but wouldn't it not want to go into gear if the clutch went bad? The clutch is prob original, but the car only has 30k on it, and the clutch worked perfectly a month ago. I've recently rebuilt the whole clutch hydraulic system, master and slave. The clutch pedal has pressure and seems to be working to fine. Any ideas?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
When in gear, give it a shove or rock it back and forth to see it the clutch is engaged with the flywheel.

mint 61

Donation Time
Yeah, I have the rear wheels up on jack stands off the ground, they turn freely when in gear. Is it possible the clutch is stuck in the disengaged position?

mint 61

Donation Time
Yes, all gears. Nothing to the drive shaft. Noticed some leaking oil down there too. Could that be part of the problem?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
See if your clutch rod is stuck in the engaged position. Have someone engage the clutch and watch to see if the lever to the release bearing is moving.

Try to keep the gears in first then reverse while rotating the driveshaft.

Can you tell if the flywheel is turning?

mint 61

Donation Time
Climbed under there earlier, the movement of the slave cylinder piston is about 3/4"-1". Yes the lever appears to be moving, but I'm gonna have to jack it up higher to get a good look at it to see if the flywheel is turning with the wheels.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Climbed under there earlier, the movement of the slave cylinder piston is about 3/4"-1". Yes the lever appears to be moving, but I'm gonna have to jack it up higher to get a good look at it to see if the flywheel is turning with the wheels.

Eesh if the flywheel doesnt spin then you have a broken crankshaft...

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
Might be 30,000 miles, but original clutch disk might be worn out is my guess. Call Rick and get a new clutch disk to go with new hydraulics and probably not visit transmission issues for another...53 years.

Last edited:

mikephillips

Donation Time
When on jack stands both wheels can turn when in gear since the Alpine doesn't have a limited slip diff. Question then is, if one wheel is blocked or otherwise prohibited from turn and the cars is in gear, will the other one turn?? Shouldn't.
I'm having trouble seeing it as a worn clutch since even worn down, unless the pressure plate has collapsed or otherwise broken, it would still be difficult to turn a wheel by hand when in gear and the other rear wheel is stopped from turning.
I'm about 15 minutes or so away if you'd like a second opinion come next weekend.

mint 61

Donation Time
Thanks for the input everyone, I don't know what I'd do without your help.

I had to smack myself when I woke up this morning to make sure this wasn't a bad dream!:eek: After work today I'll get a better look at flywheel movement, release lever, and rear diff movement. It's just so odd that this would happen after just sitting for a month or so. The gearshift still "feels" like it's going into gear, and still has a bit of vibration which leads me to think it's not a broken crankshaft, also wouldn't the starter just spin the loose flywheel and not turn over the engine in that case? I guess the clutch plate could have just fell apart from age and stayed engaged? I would think that the lever wouldn't return in that case????

Mike, I'll PM you, I would love to get your thoughts on this and some other issues, but I may be going out of town this weekend, not sure yet.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A friend with a Rapier once had his tranny input shaft snap in two. I guess that could give you the rare symptoms of having sudden zero clutch engagement. With the rear wheels up in the air, did you try turning them with the car in gear?

mint 61

Donation Time
Yeah Rootes, I can turn the rear wheels in any gear, they turn the driveshaft. They're easy enough to turn that it doesn't feel like they're turning the flywheel/crank, but I'll know that for sure tonight when I get it up higher where I can get a better look at it.

mint 61

Donation Time
SOLVED! The release lever wasn't going back all the way, bled the slave, fluid was black. I haven't pulled it yet, but my bet is the new rebuild has disintegrated, allowing fluid behind the piston creating a hydraulic "lock", not letting the clutch release. It was just rebuilt last summer! My research indicated I could use regular dot 3 brake fluid, was this wrong? Rebuild kits were from classic sunbeam. Well at least I don't have a tranny problem!

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input everyone, I don't know what I'd do without your help.

Mike, I'll PM you, I would love to get your thoughts on this and some other issues, but I may be going out of town this weekend, not sure yet.

Mint - Mike and I are both in Loveland. I'm thinking we should have a mini-meet one of these weekends.

mint 61

Donation Time
I'd love to if I could ever get this thing on the road! Lol Do you guys ever go up to the Krogers in Milford cruise in on Thursdays (I think)? I've always wanted to cruise up there, they have some nice cars, I work in Milford too.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd love to if I could ever get this thing on the road! Lol Do you guys ever go up to the Krogers in Milford cruise in on Thursdays (I think)? I've always wanted to cruise up there, they have some nice cars, I work in Milford too.

Every Friday night, yes. That's about 5 minutes from where I live. I've had the Series 3 there a few times but it's easily engulfed by all the rat rods, muscle cars, and 50's stuff. Still a great cruise in because the mix of cars changes every Friday and at its peak in the summer you can see close to 200 cars.

65beam

Donation Time
power

mint,
it possible you could have the seal in backwards which could keep the piston from going back in the cylinder.
you need a sunbeam like my 69 GT. I have people come up and mention that they thought the cuda was a larger car. scott, if you're ever in town on Thursday I would like to see your sebring car. it sounds like I may be 5 minutes away from you since I sometimes eat lunch at the steak and shake.