• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Master Cylinder Rebuild?

mint 61

Donation Time
First time posting here, I've recently inherited a 61 series 2(I think) Alpine, it's sat in a garage for 30+ yrs, and its in pretty good shape. I just started tearing into it today, brake system first.

I'm guessing the seals on the master cylinder piston are rotted, I couldn't get any pressure at the pedal, and with the drivers side front caliper off, I couldn't get it to pump any any fluid through the line. I know brake fluid can do some damage to these types of things after sitting so long. It has the master cylinder with the seperate reservoir, which the parts catalog I have is saying, that type belongs on a series 5. Is it worth trying to rebuild this master cylinder? Or should I just buck up for a new one? Could the problem elsewhere? Upon a visual inspection the other brake lines seem to be in decent shape, no leaks that I can see. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm sure this will be the first in a series of posts in my search for Alpine wisdom! :D

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild

series 1 alpines also had a remote reservoir. being titled as 1961 your car could be a series 1. they had the reservoir mounted on the inner fender. a series 5 had the reservoir mounted above the master on the fire wall. there should be markings on the master. a series 5 master should have .0875 on it, an early master would have .0700 on it. checking these numbers will help get the right kit if you find the bore of the master to be in good shape. if you need to change the master and you do not have a booster use the .0700 master, not the later .0875 that was intended for use with a booster. pegasus racing has a supply of the 700 masters.

mint 61

Donation Time
Thanks for the info 65. Hmmmm. Serial number starts with B91, so it should be a series 2 by all accounts. Reservoir is mounted on the firewall above and offset to the right. No booster, there is a 7 stamped on the master. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow.:confused: Got the rebuild kit at Pegasus, thx for the heads up, I never would have found that.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Plan on replacing all the rubber parts in your brake and clutch system. After 30 years, the seals will probably look like black Gummy Bears. Mine did.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Not knowing your level of mechanical expertise, if you need help or advice I'm just 20 minutes or so away in the Cincinnati northern suburbs. Be glad to help out if you need.

mint 61

Donation Time
Bill, thanks for the heads up, I was kinda planning on replacing all the rubber in the brake system, but hoping I wouldn't have to. Already have all the caliper rebuild kits, new brake hoses, and the master rebuild kit on order. I wish I would have ordered the clutch cylinder seals at the same time. I'm wondering if I should have a look at the slave cylinder too?

Mike, my mechanical skills aren't horrible, but I've never worked on a 52 yr old British auto either, so watch out, I might take you upon that offer sometime. It's nice to know that someone who knows what they're talking about is close by!

1789, I'll give you a full report when I receive my rebuild kit. I'll have to figure out how to get that crimped on cap off of the master without mangling it.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I've worked on cars for years. I have rebuilt a number of masters and slaves on Alpines. I can tell you that they never lasted! I don't know if it was my inabilities or other issues. But ever since then, I've plunked down the money and bought the new ones.

bbonner

Donation Time
I've worked on cars for years. I have rebuilt a number of masters and slaves on Alpines. I can tell you that they never lasted! I don't know if it was my inabilities or other issues. But ever since then, I've plunked down the money and bought the new ones.

Tell me does the clutch master cylinder look like the brake master cylinder?? I am curious as to whether someone has changed mine as they both look a like to us.:confused:

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Beverly, nice to see on line . The clutch master is a can type unit and the brake master has a remote fluid res. and they do not look the same. Maybe somewhere down the road someone has changed the masters it's hard to say, could u post some pictures?:cool:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I'd agree. A picture from you would be helpful. Just because they may have been changed doesn't mean they are bad. They could very well be improvements. Here are pictures of the brake and clutch master - at least what I'm familiar with on my SV. Don't know if they looked different in earlier years.

Attachments

• Sunbeam Master Cylinder Picture.jpg
    Sunbeam Master Cylinder Picture.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Sunbeam Clutch.jpg
    Sunbeam Clutch.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 51

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild

i had a conversation with tiger tom recently concerning how to get a rebuild of a master or slave to last. tom's recommendation is to clean and inspect the bores, install new kits and to use silicone fluid. he does this to his cars and he said the rebuild will last.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I'm not disagreeing that that is the basic description. Nor am I saying my experience reflects anything other than my lack of skill. Admittedly, I did those rebuilds back in high school. Perhaps I was not clean enough. Perhaps the honing device I used made things worse. Or perhap there were pits in the bore that were just too big. Perhaps it was because I was SOOO much harder on the car then - constantly pushing it, racing it. Maybe if I did it again now, they'd work fine.

65beam

Donation Time
rebuild

jay,
there are many of us that did and still do the same as you.i have been in these cars since the mid 60's. we were in the smokies in october and i had a minor slave problem. tom says that the silicone fluid protects the rubber and metal parts from the usual problems that arise from these not being every day vehicles. my understanding is that it will prevent corrosion of the metal and also prevent the rubber from degrading. i'm going to try it on the 69. i put it in the series 4 , but that's another story since doug jr.pulled the trans to repair the throw out bearing pedastal and installed another push rod in the slave and used regular fluid.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Best advise I can give on cylinder rebuilding is look for a good british sports car mechanic. I fooled with my clutch master for quite a while, ended up taking it to a local British mechanic. $ 25.00 later I'm in business. Sometimes it's just better that way.
Bob

mint 61

Donation Time
Update

Well the brake master rebuild seems to be successful, great pressure. Rebuilt front calipers, replaced rubber brake lines. I did use a standard Dot 3-4 brake fluid as I got some mixed reviews on the silicone stuff, I guess we'll see. I would assume the aftermarket rubber seals that I used, would be formulated for a standard brake fluid, but I guess we'll see. Now on to the fuel system.:cool: