• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. wile coyote

mismatched hardtop

I have a S5 and have come upon a hardtop from a S1 or S2. Is there a way to use it on an S5? Would cutting new side window glasses to fit the opening work? Is the shape of the top of the windshield the same and the 2 cars? I am not necessarily concerned about the fact that it would not be...
  2. wile coyote

Will an alpine rear end work if not a SV?

As long as I've had this car, everything is always been a later model series 5. Only now, while redoing the rear end, do I believe the rear end is not a series 5. In replacing the outside axle bearings, the bearings I bought for a series 5 are for a slightly larger axle shaft. The bearings with...
  3. wile coyote

Alpine ring gear bolts.

The V6 is running great. loads of fun. decided to redo the rear end, mainly due to leaking seals. The ring gear/pinion look fine, but the original 8 ring gear bolts were getting ready to give it up. 2 were broken off in the ring gear and the other 6 were slightly loose. the loose ones had...
  4. wile coyote

T5 transmission question

I've seen several recommendations here to get an aftermarket shifter for the T5 due to concerns of overshifting. I have a T5 from a 95 mustang. Shifts OK, but I have noticed a faint grinding occasionally. Once the transmission is warm, I can feel the grind in the gearshift, and even slightly...
  5. wile coyote

Oil pump tech tip

Just came across this in the manual I got with the car from Jake Marshall in Hanford CA in 1990. He gave me a handful of old newsletters. Someone mentioned low oil pressure on a recent post and thought I would post a picture. Remember when newsletters came in the mailbox...
  6. wile coyote

SV engine and transmission for sale

I have the original 1725 from my 67 SV that I removed for the V6 project. It was rebuilt in 1984. A retired machined from Pirelli tire who was living in Hanford CA rebuilt it and did a great job but never drove it much. I bought it in 1990 and put 20000 miles on it over the next 15 years...
  7. wile coyote

How I did the v6 swap

I used this site every step of the way and the help and history of posts has been invaluable. Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I thought I would document in one place how I did my swap, and maybe it will help someone along the way. In no way do I imply this is the only or...
  8. wile coyote

V6 break in

Now that it is running, I've got the Weber 38 starting, idling, and running in the mid range smoothly. When I really open it up, at about 4000rpm, the throttle is pretty much all out and I get a skip or hesitation at about 1 per second. I am assuming I may need to increase jet size, but it seems...
  9. wile coyote

hard top options

I've seen mention of fiberglass tops coming from England. Anyone have any feedback on this one: https://www.smoothline.com/sumbeam-hardtop Is this from the same manufacturer? Fitment issues? There seems to be more finish options than mentioned on the honeyboerne site.
  10. wile coyote

V6 exhaust options

Purring down the road now. Well worth the work. Currently using a pieced together exhaust system like Mike previously showed. Using a 2" system with a flex tube behind Jose's headers, going to a 12-15" straight section to a small muffler outside the frame under the seat with a 45angle out the...
  11. wile coyote

carburetor switch

Well the V6 is now running down the road! What a difference. Currently have no bonnet due to the stock carb setup being to tall. As someone predicted, the 85 Ranger Motorcraft 2150 is running a little rich. I would like to replace the carb. Even if I do, the approximately 3" tall standoff...
  12. wile coyote

alignment check

V6 conversion coming along well. Replaced tie rods yesterday. Attempted to make new rods exactly the same link as the previous. I understand the toe-in is 1/8". Where is this measured? Doesn't it depend on the distance from the spindle where this is measured? I initially assumed this is...
  13. wile coyote

LED substitutions

loose_electron mentions multiple LEDs in a recent post. Does anyone have LED substitutions for park/turn/brake/any bulbs that fit the factory sockets? I am about to start rewiring the car and would like to convert to LEDs if possible. If you did convert to LEDs, what changes did you make to...
  14. wile coyote

questions reguarding the initial fitting of the V6

I am ready to fit the engine. Since the engine and transmission are already together and running, can it be put in the car as a single unit with the back axle raised about 2 feet? If so, where is the best place to attach the engine leveler chains to the engine? Is there to much pressure on the...
  15. wile coyote

V6 radiator

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I understand the radiator needs to be heavy duty "3 core.". If that means 3 rows of tubes, mine has that coming off a SV. I've included a picture of the radiator with a scale ruler. Is it that the tubes need to be closer together. What makes it "heavy duty?"...
  16. wile coyote

kudos to Modern Driveline

Like a bonehead, I broke a synchronizer cone putting my T5 back together. Could not find ANY reference to the part number online or in the T5 service manual. Call MDL and in 5 minutes he determined what it was and noted it was a common part to just a few years of T5s and is sending me a...
  17. wile coyote

timing cover question

In the planning stages for the conversion. The way I understand it, the Must II timing cover in needed secondary to spacing concerns for the fan/radiator clearance. If an electric fan is used, would the Ranger timing cover work?
  18. wile coyote

timing cover choice

In the planning stages for the conversion. The way I understand it, the Must II timing cover in needed secondary to spacing concerns for the fan/radiator clearance. If an electric fan is used, would the Ranger timing cover work?
  19. wile coyote

seat recovering

Does anyone have a source for the small clips that holds the vinyl on the seat bottoms for a SV? I am trying to save the old ones, but some are rusted out. If not, any ideas on an alternate method?