• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

T5 transmission question

wile coyote

Donation Time
I've seen several recommendations here to get an aftermarket shifter for the T5 due to concerns of overshifting. I have a T5 from a 95 mustang. Shifts OK, but I have noticed a faint grinding occasionally. Once the transmission is warm, I can feel the grind in the gearshift, and even slightly hear it when I rev the engine with it in 1st or 2nd gear with the clutched depressed. It goes away when in neutral, or when I let the clutch out and start moving. It may go away on moving due to the RPMs dropping back down. At first I thought it may be the pilot bearing in the flywheel, but it fit the narrowed input shaft well and was well greased on assembly.
Could it be an overshifting problem? What are the symptoms of overshifting? Would a new shifter solve the problem?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Could be a bearing that's starting to go. Was you trans rebuilt before it went in?
Somehow, it doesn't sound like the shifter.
Steve

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've seen several recommendations here to get an aftermarket shifter for the T5 due to concerns of overshifting. I have a T5 from a 95 mustang. Shifts OK, but I have noticed a faint grinding occasionally. Once the transmission is warm, I can feel the grind in the gearshift, and even slightly hear it when I rev the engine with it in 1st or 2nd gear with the clutched depressed. It goes away when in neutral, or when I let the clutch out and start moving. It may go away on moving due to the RPMs dropping back down. At first I thought it may be the pilot bearing in the flywheel, but it fit the narrowed input shaft well and was well greased on assembly.
Could it be an overshifting problem? What are the symptoms of overshifting? Would a new shifter solve the problem?

Overshifting a T-5 is what happens when the 800 pound gorilla applies enough force to the shifter lever to bend the shifter forks that actually move the gears inside the transmission case. An aftermarket shifter with adjustable "stops" can help prevent the problem, but it does no good after the fact.

Grinding when shifting could be the result of bent shifter forks, but it usually means worn synchronizer rings.

A grinding noise with the transmission in gear / clutch engaged / car moving probably means damaged gears and / or bearings.

A grinding noise with the clutch depressed is typically the throwout bearing.

Never say never, but I doubt that a new shifter will make any difference.

T-5's out of Mustangs have often been "rode hard and put away wet." Sounds like you need a thorough inspection and / or rebuild.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I'm using an after market shifter, with the stops as Barry says, but my problem is similar to what your having looks like both 3rd & 5th are a problem with grinding under load probably bad gears and or bearing's never the less it's.going for a rebuild.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I'm using an after market shifter, with the stops as Barry says, but my problem is similar to what your having looks like both 3rd & 5th are a problem with grinding under load probably bad gears and or bearing's never the less it's.going for a rebuild.
Opened the GB up I'm thinking all the synchro's are crap so off to Scobee in Lafayette get this piece tuned up!