• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 break in

wile coyote

Donation Time
Now that it is running, I've got the Weber 38 starting, idling, and running in the mid range smoothly. When I really open it up, at about 4000rpm, the throttle is pretty much all out and I get a skip or hesitation at about 1 per second. I am assuming I may need to increase jet size, but it seems to run well and is fairly torquey up to that point, I hate to screw it up. 4000 in 5th is about 85-90 mph. Any thoughts? What is the redline for 85 Ranger? It is not in my manual.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
My guess is you are a little lean at the top end. Most engines idle best at around 13 to 1, cruise at 15 to 1 and full throttle at 12 to 1 AFR. Good cam. Check your plug insulator color, white is lean, gray/tan is just right and black is rich. What is your timing set at? Most engines respond best at 10-12 initial, 32-34 total in by 3,000RPM. Vacuum advance if ported is usually 14-18 and if hooked up to manifold vacuum port is too much. Manifold vacuum should be limited to 8-10.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe we have the same:)

I have run mine not for a few months for breakin.... It performs well for me. My engine "NOW" can idle at 750 to 850 RPM with 10 lbs vacuum. Praise the lord for a good cam.

I have pulled 6K in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears several times! I believe it can do more, just don't need to:) It has good torque thru 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears! Even in 5th as a surprise it will pull from 1000RPM right on up without hesitation.

I am very please with the performance. Driving is a real pleasure:)

at about 4000rpm, the throttle is pretty much all out
Wiley, What do you mean by "... all out.?

Is your gas pedal adjusted for full open throttle?

wile coyote

Donation Time
The references from Jim above are great. Very good reading. I've ordered an assortment of jets for trial and error. Looking forward to it. In the mean time, I'll do a fuel flow test of the pump, regulator, and fittings just to make sure I can get enough fuel to the carb.
Got the electric choke set well now. Starts and idles very nice.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wiley, you made the sttement that: "at about 4000rpm, the throttle is pretty much all out"

What do you mean by "... all out.?

Is your gas pedal adjusted for full open throttle?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It puzzles me that it is open and all out at 4K ? Do you get any misfiring?

Does it seem to be running out of gas/fuel?

Sure hope you get it figured out. When you do there will definitely be a very BIG Smile:)