• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam 2000 build

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Driver side rear quarter panel had a repair near the gas tank (saw the nipples on the inside). Starting sanding it down and soon realized it was lead! Got out the torch to remove it faster so I could repair it better with little or no filler. Only had to weld up the holes they drilled for the filler to hold, at least there is very little rust for a car this old.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Yep, got both rear wheelhouses done and quarter panels attached along the PRHT edge and to the new frame rail. Sunday delivery of the stainless steel 2.5" exhaust pipes came just in time so the exhaust system can be done before the new trunk floor gets built. This way I don't have to weld upside down not to mention work on the floor looking up. Stainless steel mufflers will should arrive this week.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Finally got all the parts to do the exhaust today with a forecast of rain coming for the next few days. Also managed to pick up another trunk lid to make the extension easier. I dug out the gas tanks that came with the car and it became apparent the the previous owner left the car out in the rain with the gas cap off. Passenger side tank is hot worth fixing, so in the process of making my own which will give me more capacity! HA

rrpierc

Donation Time
Finally got all the parts to do the exhaust today with a forecast of rain coming for the next few days. Also managed to pick up another trunk lid to make the extension easier. I dug out the gas tanks that came with the car and it became apparent the the previous owner left the car out in the rain with the gas cap off. Passenger side tank is hot worth fixing, so in the process of making my own which will give me more capacity! HA
You can buy a 19 gal circle track tank on amazon. put mine in the trunk just in front of the spar tire.

1701266462434.png

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
You can buy a 19 gal circle track tank on amazon. put mine in the trunk just in front of the spar tire.

View attachment 30377
I considered that and looked around for a pair that would fit in the quarter panels so I don't lose any trunk space and just could not find any that would fit and give me good extra capacity to add to the main tank over the differential. Hence making my own tanks and to be honest they take up no room inside the quarter panels, Rootes had a great idea when they did that. I am considering two fillers, one for each. Wanted something more unique than the factory did with the later series. Here is a picture of a pair of stainless steel fillers that just might work, still thinking.

Attachments

• GAS CAP.jpg
    GAS CAP.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 12

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I like the tank idea . Often thought of a day tank , a smaller cylinder type you see on older VW dune rail.
So in case you don't have a wife... Let me add her . 02 cents that I've heard " Just because you can build something doesn't mean you have to build it...

rrpierc

Donation Time
I'm thinking of putting in C5 front and rear. Just have to make sure the minimum width will fit. As a side note my alpine 5 is running a supercharged 13b with dual webbers.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Been busy reorganized my tiny little shop to get more working room, amazing what rearranging can to do free up space. Now I am able to work on the first gas tank welding from my chair!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I ordered my new tilt column over the weekend. It should arrive tomorrow. I have chosen a slightly dished wood wheel. I can see using a more modern wheel in your project.

rrpierc

Donation Time
Are you welding up stainless steel or plain sheet metal? If anyone needs a complete pair of original tanks in great condition with crossover tube I have a set!