• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am off work the week between Christmas and the new year. I am going to try focusing on getting the new wiring harness pulled in that week. I have landed the fuse block and pulled the wires forward through the firewall, but I need to get all the underdash and rear of the car wires pulled and landed.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
20221229_162946.jpg Slow progress over the holidays. I did get the horns mounted and wired up. Tomorrow, I hope to finish up the headlights and start pulling wires toward the back.20221229_163014.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So my wifes project took up most of my time off this week. I did finish up the under hood wiring for the head lights, turn signals and horn, but didn't get much else done. Sometimes it is more important to help with the wifes plans than lock yourself in the garage and knock out some wiring.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good progress today. I finished wiring up the tail lights. One oddity is that I found I have two different tail light housings. In the pic, you can see the pull out type socket that will live on the drivers side rear, and in the foreground, the passengers side will have the type that requires that you remove the entire assembly to access the bulbs. Anyone know which type a series V should have?
20230116_164624.jpg

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Series Vs came with the Lucas L763 tail light assembly bases, which have the external screw plastic lenses. Remove the exterior screws and plastic lenses to change the bulbs.

upload_2023-1-21_16-33-13.png

The series 4 came with the Lucas L654 tail light assembly bases, which have the interior screw plastic lenses. They came with the loose socket that is in your picture.

Mike

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine do not have any external screws, and one side has pull out sockets, and the other does not. I wonder if I have older series lenses on the passenger side since that one does not have pull out sockets. You would think that one would have the external screws. Odd.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The bases have the Lucas part number stamped on them.

It isn't hard to convert an L763 base to be internal screw. One of your bases might have been converted.

Mike

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Mine do not have any external screws, and one side has pull out sockets, and the other does not. I wonder if I have older series lenses on the passenger side since that one does not have pull out sockets. You would think that one would have the external screws. Odd.
like mike says some have external screws if you can't remove the Lense, you can't change the bulb. (Especially if the socket is fixed)

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I dont really want to pull the housing out again until I have to. I guess I could stick my phone in there and get a pic of the back of each. I noticed the lucas name, but did not make note of the part number.

As for blocking the horn holes, I dont plan to, but I will see how my new radiator and giant electric fan work, and if needed, I will block the openings.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
like mike says some have external screws if you can't remove the Lense, you can't change the bulb. (Especially if the socket is fixed)
In the one with the fixed sockets, I had to remove the housing and unscrew the screws holding the lenses in place. I wonder if a previous owner drilled holes for mounting screws in the back of the housing with fixed sockets?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the base is an L763, then yes. :)

Also, it is possible to transfer the whole socket assembly from one base to another.

Mike

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I tried the phone in the fender trick, and found of course you can't see the back of the housing. I should have remembered that from when I had the housing off the other day.20230121_213600.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
I dont really want to pull the housing out again until I have to. I guess I could stick my phone in there and get a pic of the back of each. I noticed the lucas name, but did not make note of the part number.

As for blocking the horn holes, I dont plan to, but I will see how my new radiator and giant electric fan work, and if needed, I will block the openings.
Wouldn't it be better if the fan wasnt needed.. Or didnt have to run as much?