• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So, big progress but down a different road today. I put the front of the car back up on my cribbing and the back up on jack stands. I took the rear end out. It wasn't really all that hard. You can see the spring perches and shock mounts will need quit a bit of relocating. That in addition to the changes to the axle flanges and conversion to disk brakes. I need to work out with my local shop when they can start work on this.20230122_162550.jpg20230122_162744.jpg

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had been kicking around the idea of buying a disc brake conversion kit for my jeep rear end from one of the online jeep parts vendors, because I knew they were readily available. Once I started digging into specific kits, I found none of them would fit inside a 14" wheel. Then I remembered that our good friend Dan Richardson had sorted out all the parts needed to convert an alpine or tiger to rear disc, and was selling the brackets to make them work. After a couple of quick phone calls to make sure my postal jeep dana 44 had the same bolt pattern as a tiger, I pulled the trigger on Dan's parts and ordered the calipers, shoes and rotors online. Thanks so much Dan. I look forward to getting these bolted on when I get the rear end back from the shop.

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Brian, these are for an MGB but may be helpful for your shop. Before and after. They may have to reduce the diameter to the same as the Alpine axle also.

Attachments

• Dana44Axle-C.jpg
    Dana44Axle-C.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Dana44Axle-D.jpg
    Dana44Axle-D.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Dana44Axle-E.jpg
    Dana44Axle-E.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will be sure to share those with the shop once I drop the rear end off. They are relocating to a new shop building and won't be taking in work for another week.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I know you are using the Dana 44 out of a jeep. Has anyone tried using early Toyota truck axles?
Here are the dimensions through the years.
stout 64-68 53.2 in
hilux 69-73 50.8 in
74-78 50.8 in
79-83 53.1 in
84-88 55.5
89-95 54.3 or 53.9 depending on trim and chassis

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
When turning down the center and converting to 4 lug the dana 44's as in the pictures above, what do you do for brakes?

I looked at toyota pick up axles in the past most I looked at had high 4.xx ratio's.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am converting to disc brakes. From above, one of our members has worked out the hardware required to mount calipers and rotors from a 92 saturn and has made brackets to bolt them to the dana axle housing.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
You could also use the Jeep drums redrilled to 4 lug. Probably need at least 14" wheels.
At least 14". Those jeep drums are huge compared to the sunbeam drums. The drums are off of the sunbeam axle above, but you can compare the size of the backing plate.

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
I guess I'll look into the disc brakes. I really don't need disc's, I was hoping that the alpine backing plate and drums could be adapted.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will be taking the backing plates off the Dana this weekend. I will take a quick glance at the sunbeam rear and see if it looks like they may mate up.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Other than the bolt pattern to the rear housing ends, the brake parts are the same as Series 4 or 5 depending on the year. you may be able to just redrill your existing backing plates. Brian will see soon.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The axle housing flanges are way different, but you may be able to redrill the backing plate of the sunbeam to match the Dana flange.20230128_175201.jpg20230128_175208.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I painted the calipers and brackets for my rear disc brake conversion. I used POR 15 caliper paint. I will do the fronts when I get the car back off the cribbing.20230204_180909.jpg

As for a steering wheel, I already bought this 14" wheel.
20230204_180934.jpg