• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am still coming along with wiring, but I got some seat belt mounting hardware today, and wanted to see how it was going to look. The position of this upper anchor is the whole reason I installed the roll bar.

The retractor is mounted to one of the bolts holding the roll bar in place, and the other end of the shoulder belt will be mounted to the original outboard seat belt mounting location.

20221206_142902.jpg 20221206_142854.jpg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am eager to see all of the interior installed. I chose a dark blue carpet as opposed to a tan carpet that would show more dirt.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
The wife and her sister are out of town for a girls weekend, so I spent a little time in the garage. I wanted to get a feel for my driving position with the trans tunnel back in the car, so I put my knock off dynomat on the tunnel and dropped it in place. It will be bolted in once the engine and trans are back in. I am for sure going to need a tilt steering column just to be able to access the brake pedal. It will be pretty tight down there, even after I get all that wire pulled to the right location.

20221210_154221.jpg 20221210_153307.jpg

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Have you considered a quick release hub instead of a tilt wheel?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
It isn't just the getting in and out, I need room below the wheel for my right knee when I am in motion.
Grant has a flat bottom wheel check that out, use an rx 7 adaptor you'll find at Summit
I forgot you have a V8 so maybe you don't have the stock column any way I used a Universal ididit column and moved it as far forward as possible and then used a grant adaptor and wheel
but i still have the issue u describe with the knee, 14 wheel also helps a bit, check out the flat bottom Grant.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a 14" wood wheel already, so too late for the flat wheel, at least for the first iteration. Thanks for the tip all the same.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Probably preaching to the choir, but Speedway Motors sells steering columns that are functionally equivalent to Ididit columns for a lot less money. Similar steering columns are available on eBay for even less, but caveat emptor.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Barry is correct on his assessment of columns. keep in mind a tilt column is going to put the wheel further towards the driver a plain ididit column with the adaptor for a grant wheel (or others) pushed it pretty far rearwards which is why I mentioned I moved it fwd. as far as I could just more things to ponder.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, I have seen the super low priced columns on ebay, and am a little leary about them, but are they the same as can be found at Speedway? I dont know.

It will be a balance for me to judge how far away from the dash the wheel ends up being. Further from the dash will help my knee clearance, but hurt arm comfort. I will try to find a goldilocks position.

Last edited:

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
Get the shortest column you can, we put one on a Model A and cut the end to make room for a bearing and got it to the right length. Be creative Brian!

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Most of the columns I have been considering have a 2" diameter main tube. That is larger than the standard one in an Alpine. I have found some inch and a half columns, but the number of choices is much smaller. As for length, it looks like the shortest standard size is 28". I need to measure the length of the MG column currently in the car and see what I am starting with.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow, I had not seen those. I will be measuring the room I have to work with and finding the shortest one I can make work. Thanks for showing me what is possible.