• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Should have the hood back in the next week. Then I can get it inspected and back on the road. Anyone know if a '62 grill will fit on a '66 Series V?

markp

Donation Time
Grille Should Fit

Back in the old days (70's) I had a 66 Tiger that had front end damage and needed a grille. At the time I was only able to locate a clean 63 s3 Alpine grille and it fit. I think you should have no problem.
Good Luck
Mark

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Great, I'm gonna bid on a nice one on eBay. I bought a '57 T-Bird grill to fit in the car, but am having a hard time cutting up a classic grill like that.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't believe I'd do that:eek:

Make some money by selling and do something special with the wife.

Sell it for profit and donate to the SAOCA fund.:D

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
For now I'm just gonna hang it in my garage and wish I had the rest of the car. Took another look at the '62 grill on eBay and it don't look so hot. So I'm gonna pass. Anyone know what year Tiger has the egg crate grill and if anyone has one to sell?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have some more pictures of the engine. The yellow, red, and black wire go to the coil and the white, gray, and black go to the distributor. You may notice that the master cylinders for the brake/clutch are not on the firewall. They are under the dashboard and I have yet figured out how to put fluid in them. They are tucked high and tight. I have a few more pictures to post shortly.

Well, Good news for me. While cleaning out my garage, at the house, not the shop, I found my ignition box.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Mark 2s used the eggcrate grille, they're tough to find and can cost upwards of 2k to obtain. Plus they used a slightly different eyebrow molding that was slightly deeper due to the fact that the eggcrate is thicker. That molding seems to be even harder to find than the grille.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Skip the old '62 grill idea. Yours was stellar. There is a re-chromed '62 grill on eBay. Just don't want to pay $350 for it.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
62 Grille on Ebay

You may not be sold on that grille because of appearance, so price may not be a factor. If you want to use a Series II grille and have it chrome plated, you would spend near the $350, I know I did.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Looked at the cheaper one a little closer and it is really pitted. If I get the '67 parts car I'm bidding on, it has a decent grill I'll probably use. Supposed to get my hood back tomorrow from the shop. If I can get a picture to post on the forum I will as soon as I can. For some reason I can get any pictures to up load.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Having oil pressure issues again. Gonna get a high volume oil pump from TA performance products. With that and some 20-50W oil and ZDDP additive they and the engine builder say that will help till I get the engine rebuilt next year.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Waiting on new pump to arrive. In the meantime I bought a '67 SV parts car off of eBay. Got it home the other day. It's complete less an engine. Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do with it yet. My friend wants to make a dragster out of it. Would be good to see an Alpine heading down the track. If I can ever figure out how to post a picture I will.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
cutting up a third grill?

IMG_0736.jpg sure, it can be done and it doesn't even hurt all that much. It gives it a nice look, in my opinion. (don't worry, there are plenty of tbird grills out there)

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I am probably gonna use the T-Bird grill. It's pretty close in size. Need the extra tall grill to cover where the frame was extended to accommodate moving the radiator forward and the valance was cut. Received the new oil pump. Now just need some time and a garage under 100 degrees to install it.... I always thought the purpose of multi grade oil was to be thin for starts in cold weather then thicken up as the oil warmed up. Least that's what I remember from my gas pumping days in the '60's.

coupe

Donation Time
Hey faux tgr 66,
Your close abt. The oil, 20w-50 means 20 weight oil flow cold with the wear additives (strength) of a50weight oil. It would not revert to the higher weight when warm the passages would be very restrictive in modern . 20w would not protect very well in 90 degrees or above, most industrial engines have a chart of approved oil for given temps and above a certain temp a std. 30 weight is required. But even at a 50 degree morning will thicken that oil enough to strain the starting system on most engines not to mention starvation till the oil can get to the brngs.
Coupe

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. An engine builder recommended the 20-50. The guy I bought it from ran straight 50. We don't drive it in the winter. It stays in an unheated garage on jack stands during cold weather. Wondering if a straight 40w wouldn't be the wise thing to do. Just started changing out the oil pump. Have the old off and making a few modifications to the new so it will fit. On the Buick 215 the holes for the alignment pins on the new housing have to be drilled to fit, because it fits several engines. Hope to have it finished tomorrow. Going to take the opportunity to paint the pulleys while they are off and the harmonic balancer, since the last guy seen fit to paint the balancer orange.