• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

bluoval

Donation Time
somewhere outhtere is a 62 alpine with the alumv8

In 1968 I gave my 62 to a neighbor boy who put a buick alum va in it I never got to see the finished car but it was finished in Columbus Ohio . If anyone has seen it please post Thanks Earl blu oval

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I thought it was a deal too. The other pair are from a '65 Vette. I guess I picked them up instead of the '83 visors the guy had too. Just the hardware was worth the money to me. Finally got the starter out and repaired. It is a high torque Hitachi starter. Had to loosen the header and make a little dent in the header to get it out and back in.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
The guy told me he was restoring his Vette and these were in it. I was wondering why they were so different than the '65 visors I got from him too.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
... Finally got the starter out and repaired. It is a high torque Hitachi starter. Had to loosen the header and make a little dent in the header to get it out and back in.

I guess the header in the Alpine is a bit tighter than the MGB. I bought I high torque starter for my 215 and was surprised that I could remove the stock starter with out doing anything to the hugger headers. So there was plenty of room for the smaller high torque unit. I decided to do that to add some space between header and starter so that hopefully I won't have any heat soak issues with the starter.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Lloyd asked me to post pictures of his Mustang II front end. Here they are:

frontend1.jpg

frontend2.jpg

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Took the Ape out for a drive to the lake the other day. It was fun, but noticed I have a dim headlight. That will give me something to check while I try to figure out why my after market gas tank and gauge work backwards. Full reads empty and empty reads full. English cars sure are fun.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Finally got the fuel gauge working. Could not duplicate the gauge reading in reverse. Doesn't matter, I guess, as long as it works. Have a new neighbor, who is from England, and he can't believe there is a Sunbeam in the neighborhood.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
A new problem has arisen. The green/black hot wire to the fuel gauge starts erratic voltage swinging from 8-12vdc and the gauge needle jumps around. Strange thing is the voltage is constant at 12vdc for the first 5 minutes or so then starts pulsing. Anyone have any ideas? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
In an SV, it sounds like a classic instrument voltage regulator issue. Do a search on the site for that, and there will be hints and instructions on testing. (The manual has this, too.)

On edit... aftermarket gauge. Is it set to work on 10V? That's probably what the car is trying to supply to the sender. What does your product info for the sender say for voltage, or resistance?

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
It is a SunPro gauge and it is 12vdc. For now I'm using a clean 12v source to power it. I will look into it next week. The grand kids are here for the week end and they get all of our attention. Thanks for the info.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Gas gauge seems to be working OK. Having oil pressure issues. Even with 50 weight oil it only has 8lbs of oil pressure, at idle, with the engine at normal operating temps. Probably gonna pull the engine and overhaul it this winter or sooner if I get time. Looking at the British V8 site, oil pressure problems are common in the older Buick 215 V8.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Guess I should have replaced/rebuilt the starter when I replaced the solenoid. I now have a perfectly good solenoid on a bad starter. Gotta get out the jack stands and get the starter to the shop for repair. Now if I can get the temp in my garage below 110F it will help.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. Is that a bolt in? We plan on going to the invasion, but we are not bringing the faux tiger.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yep. Bolted right up. Gave me more space between the headers and starter. Can be re-clocked, too.