• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

66 Faux Tiger

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Completed the oil pump installation. Started the engine and had 75lbs of oil pressure cold and at 210F it dropped to 24psig at 950rpms. Before it was 10lbs at the same operating temp and idling rpm's. Went for a ride and in 5th gear at 1500rpms the pressure was 40 and at 2500{about 70mph} it was 50. A good deal better than it was before. Thought I would try the 20-50wt Castrol oil with 6oz of ZDDP additive and 3/4 of a quart of STP that also has ZDDP added. Was feeling pretty good about all of this then the electric fan controller crapped out. Back to the 90+ garage with the car. Will look into the controller next week. Sweated enough for one day. Was 98 in the garage when i closed the door.

pcmenten

Donation Time
About that STP

I had rebuilt a Ford 223 6 cylinder engine. I knew that STP Oil Treatment had ZDDP so I put some into the crankcase before I fired the engine. Mistake. STP is about 120w for viscosity. It covered the oil pickup in the bottom of the pan and flat would not pump up. I twisted two oil pump drive shafts before I finally realized my mistake.

Be sure to add modest amounts of STP to a warmed-up, running engine.

IIRC, Castrol 'synthetic' 20w-50 is hydro-processed mineral oil (not truly synthetic), and is relatively thick stuff. It's probably a good bet for your situation. It would also work well in an MGB.

Last edited:

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. I will give that oil a try. I did add the STP through the valve cover fill cap when the engine was 190F so it wasn't problem. The pump came packed with Vaseline from TA Performance and when I cranked the engine the oil pressure picked right up. Hope to get the fan issue resolved so we can take it to the cars and coffee in Plano on the 7th. Didn't put the STP or the ZDDP in till I was sure the fix was gonna work. Stuff is too expensive to waste, again. Learned from my last mistake, when I added the additives too soon.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Still working on the timing trying to get it just right. Drove the car to town for a state inspection. Ran fine for the 10 mile round trip. Passed inspection with out a problem. Drew a crowd at the inspection shop wondering what kind of car it was. Wasn't sure the inspector was coming back with the car, as he seemed to be having a prolonged test drive. There was a nice '63 Impala there getting an inspection too and it was drawing onlookers As well. Back in the garage by 9am and it was already 94F. Will install a new fan control in the morning when it's only 85F in the garage. It's 102F in there now.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Got the timing squared away. Drove the car to the Plano cars and coffee event. About a 120 mile round trip. If it wasn't 100+ degrees it would have been more fun. Met a couple of fellow SOACA members there. People either said " Hey a Tiger or what is it?" Had to explain it wasn't a Tiger, but a Faux Tiger. Then they were really confused. It was a lot of fun. The other V6 Alpine that was there couldn't park in the British area because the place was at full capacity. We barely got in before the gates were closed and had to park with the German cars.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Was going to take the car to a show yesterday, but it was cancelled due to the weather. So instead I started tinkering with some mesh to fashion a new grill. This is the before picture. Never really liked that grill, but it was a low priority. Will post an after picture later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 136

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Entered the car in a show last Sunday. About 35 cars were there. 2 English cars in the show. A '52 Bentley and my Alpine. It was fun. Of course didn't win anything and won't till we get the body work and painting done. Decided to go ahead and use the '57 T-Bird grille if I don't trade it for a '58 Ford grille. Gotta work on the headers now. They are leaking around the gaskets and won't stop after tightening the bolts. Oh the joys of owning a classic car. Got my eye on a '72 Spitfire to fix up for my granddaughter. Will see how that goes.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Entered the car in a small show. It had about 50 cars there and we entered the under construction class and placed first. We thought we had a good chance since there was only three cars in that class. Worst we could have done is place third. While there a TV crew showed up and we're filming a pilot show for HGTV. Don't know if it will ever air. It was a lot of fun and met lots of nice folks. Decided to get the original seats repaired and put back in the car. The Jag seats are nice but just too big.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Grille etc

Like to see some different mesh options LAT hood scoop looks like its very un finished
. What script you have on wings? I get MK 2 guys always saying "your car would look better with the peaked head lt rings".
Good to be able to do what you want.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
The hood scoop is from a '70 Torino. Just have the hood primed for now. Looked into one of those composit hoods but it has to be bonded together and fitted and I thought that was gonna cost too much. My plan for now is to send the hood from my parts car to a shop in Tyler that can weld a '57 T-Bird scoop on. The parts car hood is in good shape with no dents or holes cut in it. So I think it will look better than the hacked up original hood.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
With 4" of ice in the driveway its time to put the car on the jack stands. Have to pull the headers to replace the gaskets and wrap them with some kind of insulator. The header is only a half inch from the starter. Had some wrap on the header, but it came off. This has caused the starter to fail from time to time. It has been clicking a lot more lately, so it will go back to the shop to get repaired. Noticed the front shocks are leaking oil and the car was wandering all over the road. So it looks like new shocks and a trip to the alignment shop next spring. Goal this winter is to get all the gauges working as well as the speedometer. Jose suggested taking the cable from my parts car and having a local shop add on the right gear for the Mustang transmission. Problem is I haven't been able to find one in the DFW area. Anyone know where one is?

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Don't know if you have a Tiger speedometer or not. I have a V6 Alpine conversion that I installed a Tiger speedo in the dash. Having gone through the "take the cable to the speedometer shop for alteration" once before, at a cost of $85, and the fact that I also restore Mustangs, I figured an early Mustang speedo cable would do the trick ( at $18 ) because it has the correct ends on it already, I ordered one. It fit like it was made for the T5 transmission to a stock Tiger speedometer and the length was perfect. I just like the fact that the face of the speedometer says 140 mph. Just thought I throw that out in case anyone else can use the information.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
I appreciate the info. My car has a '90 Mustang 5 speed. Are the Tiger and Alpine speedometers the same with respect to how the cable connects?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I don't know what front suspension/steering you are using. If it is stock Alpine, then you may be getting play from the crossover tube along the firewall, above the tranny. The bushings wear out, or basically disappear, and create a lot of play.

Cactusmasher

Donation Time
Speedometer question

No, the Alpine speedometer has a much smaller diameter receptacle on the backside and the Alpine cable has a matching ferrule. The Tiger speedometer has a larger diameter receptacle which is the same size as the Mustang cable and it is an easy install.

In order to run a factory Rootes speedometer cable with the V6-five speed conversion, the cable must be changed on the transmission end to fit the five speed. The upper ferrule stays the same and works just fine. If you are using a Tiger speedo, a factory issue or aftermarket Mustang cable of 64 to 66 vintage has the correct connections on both ends and is just the right length. I discovered this recently when I changed my speedometer from Alpine to Tiger.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
tbird hood scoop

you WILL like the look of the tbird hood scoop on your car. It looks very natural and is good proportionally. I was going to have one welded on my hood but found a nice fiberglass one on ebay.

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
It will be nice especially if I can get the '57 T-Bird grill I have fitted on the car. Another project for this winter will be to fashion a bumper to fit the Mustang front end. The rails go through the front valance and the original bumper doesn't fit.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
tbird hood scoop

here's a pic of what it looks like together

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 134

Faux tgr 66

Donation Time
Hey that's beautiful. Was it hard to fit? I can do the mechanical work, but not too good with metal work. My welds look like toothpaste squeezed out of a tube. And also my family would like to say Merry Christmas to all of the club members! Hope you get what you want and want what you get!

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
metalwork is certainly NOT my second language either. this was mostly trimming and a little bending to fit. It DOES add to the family similarities between big brother and little brother. Hope you all have a GREAT CHRISTMAS and NEW Year! the forum team is THE BEST.

Last edited: