• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. C

Progress pics for B9400037

My old Series IV is getting closer to completion. This car used to be a "Flintstones mobile" complete will see thru floors and trunk. Some of my earlier posts showed the extent of the rust holes. Now she's solid.:D
  2. C

Seat Back Material

Anyone know what that cardboard like material on the bucket seat backs under the vinyl is called? Where can I find some? Thanks Chasedan
  3. C

More pics again

Had fun meeting all you Sunbeam enthusiasts. It was good to find people who know Sunbeam cars and don't say" What? You drive a mixmaster!!":D
  4. C

More Pics

Here's some more pics taken by my wife from the Invasion. My Alpine was not ready for the trip so my wife and kids an I drove down from Grand Rapids, MN in our Chrysler for the day on Friday. Someone said that Chryslers are always welcome to Sunbeam events due to the Sunbeam-Chrysler connection:):)
  5. C

recommended oil for rebuilt SIV transmission?

Thanks for all the input. I guess what I am thinking is that there may be some new technology in gear oils and additives. I've seen shopping mall demonstrations of oil additives and oil products that appear to reduce friction between metal surfaces, specifically the demo with the weighted down...
  6. C

recommended oil for rebuilt SIV transmission?

Hello All I've finally rebuilt and reassembled the transmission for my Series IV. Here's a basic dumb question: What type of oil should I use to properly break in this rebuilt gearbox? The syncros are fairly snug. The book says to use straight 30 weight non detergent. I would venture a...
  7. C

Making Transmission Output shaft Nut

I posted this last week in the "Stock" Alpine Forum but no one was intersted. So I thought I'd try this one.... The hex stock has arrived today. I can get up to 16 of these nuts made with a 1 foot long piece of stock. Hello all, I've been having trouble finding a new nut that goes on the...
  8. C

Making Transmission Output Shaft Nut

Hello all, I've been having trouble finding a new nut that goes on the front end of the transmission primary (output) shaft (Alpine Series IV B9400037). I decided to have it made by a local machine shop. The nut is 1-5/16" hex and 1" inside diameter with 20 threads per inch UNF. The nut...
  9. C

Series IV 3rd / 4th gear sychro hub question

Hello All I've been trying to reassemble my early series IV gearbox. It should be simple right? I had it all back together but I noticed that the clearance between the 3rd gear synchro hub, ring and gear was very tight. Also, the 3rd gear synchro ring had cracked. I also noticed that there...
  10. C

Is this gear shot?

Would you recommend re-installing it if no replacement part can be found?
  11. C

Is this gear shot?

Hi All I've attached a photo of the reverse gear from my Alpine IV (B94000037). The transmission worked before the teardown. It jumped out of 4th gear under acceleration. Is this gear shot?, or should I try to reuse it? Are there any reverse gears still out there? Any comments, ideas ...
  12. C

Has Anyone Tried Reviving a Lead Acid Battery with Epsom Salt Solution?

Hello All, Its been a while since I posted here. Quick question, has anyone tried to revive an old, failing lead-acid car battery with an Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) solution? If so how well did it work? Thanks for any input Chasedan
  13. C

Old Number 37 goes on the rotisserie today

Hello All, My series IV (B9400037) is going on the rotisserie today. It will be sand blasted and any bad metal is going to be replaced. The car will be repainted its origial color - Embassy Black. Hopefully in a few days the shell will be ready for the engine and tranny to go back in. Most...
  14. C

S IV Metal Windsheild Frame

The lower corners of the my SIV windshield frame is very rusty. When taking the windshield apart I found what looks like some kind of bakelite plug inserted into the bottom ends of the windshield frame vertical posts. There is a very sticky black goo seeping aroung the "plug". This plug could...
  15. C

pops out of gear

I've had that problem with my series IV. Pops out of 4th. Sycros, forks and sprockets all are in good shape. The most likely cause is vibration on the transmission input shaft due to a worn pilot bushing. Also check the needle bearing and surfaces at the input shaft / output shaft...
  16. C

SIV pops out of 4th gear under acceleration

The measurement of the diameter of the inside race on the primary shaft is 121/128" or 0.9453". A typical roller measured 12/128" or 0.09375". The outside diameter of the secondary (output) shaft measured 96/128" or 0.75". Two roller diameters plus the outside diameter of the secondary...
  17. C

Hello again, The secondary shaft end race is 0.75" od. A random sampling of the roller bearings diameter is 0.09375". thanks chasedan
  18. C

The tranny is a 4 speed manual. Chasedan
  19. C

The shifter fork detent ball was in place, before I took it apart. The shifting operation was smooth and worked well on the bench. I can mic the outer diameter of the output shaft and will get back to you. The inner diameter of the input shaft might be a little more difficult to get. I don't...
  20. C

Hi all, I've been working on my Series IV (B9400037) transmission. It is the original tranny that came with the car. I currently have the tranny apart and on the bench and am trying to determine the cause of the transmission slipping out of 4th gear and into neutral while under acceleration...