• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. greenbeam

Rapier, Minx convertible B-post buffers being made

Hi all, I posted early last year that I was trying to get B-post buffers made for early Rapier and Minx convertibles. Well, they are now in manufacture! If anyone needs them, shoot me a message with your email and I'll put you in touch with the guy that's made them. Cheers, Paul.
  2. greenbeam

Alpine Horn - are we still getting them?

Hi all, Just wondering if the agreement with the UK club is still in place. There is no December issue of the Horn on this site, and I'm told the first 2024 issue is now out. Cheers, Paul.
  3. greenbeam

NOS Rapier tail-light lenses

Hi all, I have come across some US/Canada-spec NOS tail-light lenses for Series Rapiers. Red brake/tail lenses are part no: 54570335 - USA/Canada late Series 2 and all Series 3 upper brake/turn lens, RED The clear reverse light lenses are part no: 575760 - USA/Canada Series 1 lower lens ***...
  4. greenbeam

Removing rear spring bush in chassis

Hi all, Is there a tried and proven method to remove the rear spring bush in the chassis on series 3-5 Alpines? I've searched the forums and found the tales of woe, but not seen a good how-to on the topic. Even the ever-helpful Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube only tackles the bushes in the...
  5. greenbeam

Blanking grommets in battery box?

Hi all, The battery box in my Series 3 has five (!) 1" holes, of which I need one for the positive 12v cable. There are two in the base of the box, two on the front face near the top, and one on the side facing the prop shaft where the main power feed cable passes through. That last one has a...
  6. greenbeam

B-post buffers for Rapier, Minx, Gazelle Convertible

Hi all, I am working on reproducing the buffer at the top of the B-post on Gazelle, Minx and early Rapier convertibles. If anyone is interested in a pair of them, please get in touch - we need a minimum number to proceed. Price will be around US$50 plus shipping (yet to be locked down, will...
  7. greenbeam

Spin-on oil filter base for 1592 engine

Happy New Year all, I have found an oil filter base to convert my early 1592 engine from canister to spin-on filter. I recall there being a 1592 and a 1725 spec for these oil filter bases and a warning about some pressure relief valves sticking, so before I swap them over, just want to make...
  8. greenbeam

Repro glass run channel super tight!

Hi all, I'm fitting new 'DP51' glass run channels from Rick, but they are sooo tight in the channel on the back of the 1/4 windows*. I've given the window channel and the weather strip a dose of silicon spray but it's so tight that it's peeling the rubber coating off the sides of the weather...
  9. greenbeam

Rubber hood prop holder too loose

Hi all, I have a repro rubber holder for the hood prop, but it is too loose to hold the hood prop. When I put the rubber into the slot in the bracket on the car body, the rubber sits open too far to grip the rod. Question: should the metal bracket on the inner fender be flat (as mine is), or...
  10. greenbeam

S3-5 Rear shocker top cover rubber

Hi all, I haven't been able to identify these from the usual suppliers. Am I missing the obvious or is there another source for something suitable? It's the rubber 'hat' that covers the thread at the top of the rear shocker, visible in the well where the soft-top goes when folded. On my car...
  11. greenbeam

2020-era engine mounts - still too hard?

Hi all, I've recently gotten around to replacing the cracked and sagging engine mounts with new ones that I acquired a few years back and never fitted. The vibrations through the car are terrible. Searching this forum has produced similar comments from people in 2015 -2017 about the mounts being...
  12. greenbeam

Universal joint part number

Hi all, Does anyone have to hand a current part number for the Alpine universal joint? I'm hoping to buy a pair locally. For S3 O/D box in case that matters. Cheers, Paul.
  13. greenbeam

Sunvisors don't fit with soft-top latches

Merry Christmas all, I have very kindly been given a pair of sunvisors for my Series 3 - it had the mounts but no visors. With the soft-top latches done up, the visors wont fit. Should there be spacers behind the brackets? Perhaps the brackets/visor design changed between models and I have a...
  14. greenbeam

Soft top tensioner rod springs - grrrrrr

Hi all, I have finally (finally!) got the new soft-top fitted to my S3 Alpine. Well, almost.... I bought a pair of the springs that go on the soft-top tensioner rods from Rick and fitted them as things went back together. Every time I raise the header rail above 90 degrees at least one of the...
  15. greenbeam

Ammeter for Series 3 - options?

OK, so Shipwrights Disease has me in its grip..... After finding the tacho in my car has gummed up, and thinking I may as well also pull the speedo which has had a 'wavering needle' for many years, I get to wondering about the odd-looking 30 amp Smiths ammeter with white needle. Should a...
  16. greenbeam

S3 Alpine tach stopped working

Hi all, My 22yo son took my Series 3 Alpine out to our local Coffee'n'Chrome cruise in, and came back with the tacho sitting on zero. It was working reliably previously, apart from the needle wavering a bit but it's been doing that for many years. Before I jump into the investigation of bad...
  17. greenbeam

S3 soft-top webbing - treatment on end of webbing

Hello all, I am (very!) slowly getting around to installing a replacement soft-top on my S3 Alpine. I have remnants of the original webbing that runs from the header rail to the two back rails. At the points they are rivetted onto the rails the webbing looks to have a hard substance coated...
  18. greenbeam

Photo of velcro on cant-rails

Hi all, Could I ask someone to post a photo of the velcro strip attached to the cant-rail on a SIV-V please. I'm converting my S3 top to the later style and would like to see how far the velcro runs along the rails. Thanks, Paul.
  19. greenbeam

S3-5 soft-top cantrails wanted

Hi all, The powder-coaters have bent the soft-top cantrails on my soft-top frame (very annoying, but they have been upfront and they are trying to make good, fingers crossed). Does anyone have spare cantrails they are prepared to sell? If not, perhaps an entire frame in good order? I'm...
  20. greenbeam

Series 3 fuel filler hose

Hi everyone, What are people using for the fuel filler-to-tank rubber hose for a S3 Alpine? SS lists hoses for Series 1-2, and for Series VI/V, but nothing for series 3! Same deal in the UK. Classic Sunbeam shows filler neck hose for series 3-V, however my car has the vent pipe T piece...