• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top tensioner rod springs - grrrrrr

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi all,
I have finally (finally!) got the new soft-top fitted to my S3 Alpine. Well, almost....

I bought a pair of the springs that go on the soft-top tensioner rods from Rick and fitted them as things went back together. Every time I raise the header rail above 90 degrees at least one of the springs will pop off at one end or the other and fall out. I have tried gently closing up the end that goes onto the lug on the cant rail, which helps, but at times the end that goes into the tensioner rod will fall out. I tried bending the tensioner rod end of the spring just a bit past right angle. Worked ok on one spring, but I broke the end off the second one. I've just ordered another pair from Rick to have another go. I thought maybe I have them installed on the wrong side. Which way should the loop point, up or down?

Does anyone have the secret to getting these things installed and staying put?
Cheers,
Paul.

PS, on the plus side, I took the car out today under grey skies, it rained, and there were no leaks!

65beam

Donation Time
I was at the shop when Doug at Tiger Auto installed the springs on one of my cars. He made the comment of "will they stay on the first time we move the rod". They popped loose and we did not install again. There really is no need to have them And if you looked at a hundred cars I bet you may find a hand full or less that have the springs. Leave them off and live without the frustration.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I wrote to Rick at SS about this very same issue I was having years ago and he said the tension rod should not raise more than 90 degrees. Here is his exact response "If the tension rod swings past vertical the sheet metal stop is damaged and the spring may not be secure." I repaired the stop, because mine was bent up, and it helped. To be sure, the spring has a habit of popping out rather easily, but less so if the rod doesn't go past vertical.

Rick

gary1725

Donation Time
One reason to keep the springs - the rods fold further back if the spring is missing - if you are not carful it can then pinch the soft top between the rod and the side rail... you can guess how I know that....

65beam

Donation Time
I guess it all boils down to a few things. Use common sense, be careful and watch what you're doing as well as taking the time needed and don't get in a hurry. If the springs pop out that's a good indication that the holes are worn so live with it. I figured that out 50+ years ago with this car. It just keeps on going and going without the springs and it doesn't make a difference that I notice.107_0993.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
I looked at a couple extra top frames that I have and the tension rods have a lot of side to side slop which seems to be in the area of the pivot pins. This would allow enough movement to pop the springs The two frames I looked at had distortion in the bracket and when I checked our series 5 which has new tension rods and pivot pins and no springs, there's slop. Odds are that when the cars were new the pivot pins were tight with no side to side slop and this allowed the springs to stay in place. This mounting bracket is in a tough spot to get to so how do you repair this in order to get back to the original fit? Any ideas?

65beam

Donation Time
The spring has a V shape to it so the loop is on the underneath side based on the drawing in the parts book for series 3 thru 5.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you for that 65Beam. I have ordered another pair from Rick, will try to limit the travel of the rods to 90 degrees, and fit the springs with loop facing down. Will report back.
Cheers,
Paul.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I looked at a couple extra top frames that I have and the tension rods have a lot of side to side slop which seems to be in the area of the pivot pins

Greenbeam, Remember what Bob also said about the "slop" side to side.... if you can restrict that it may resolve a
lot of you problem.

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Dan, mine seems pretty good that way. The car still had its original top and it has a hardtop, so I don’t believe the soft top was used too much.

65beam

Donation Time
Jean bought a new top for the green car about two years ago and we're going to install it soon. I took a look at the frame today and since the pivot pins are held in with a snap ring I may try shimming with a spring washer to eliminate side ways movement. That may help the springs popping off.

Billm

Gold Level Sponsor
IMG_1695.JPG I was looking for a photo of the spring install and couldn't find one. I think this photo is the correct spot for the spring. The rod retainer clip is not yet installed. I will try to bend the bracket.