• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunvisors don't fit with soft-top latches

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Merry Christmas all,
I have very kindly been given a pair of sunvisors for my Series 3 - it had the mounts but no visors.

With the soft-top latches done up, the visors wont fit. Should there be spacers behind the brackets? Perhaps the brackets/visor design changed between models and I have a mismatched set? Are the visors 'handed' (ie right/left hand) - I don't believe so, and have tried them on both sides with same result.

I know the visors have to be rotated up/down to line up the shape of the rod end with the outboard bracket, but I can't get the rod to even line up with the hole in the bracket.

Any ideas most welcome.
Cheers,
Paul.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The visor mounting and location were the same from series 3- V the only change was when thw larger rear view mirror was introduced the visors got a cut out to clear them.

Post a photo... There souldnt be an issue with clearence.. You do have to remove and reinstall the visors into the locators to put the top up/down or on/off.

Are the ones you have correct visors?

greenbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Any chance your left and right mounts are reversed?

"Oh, how embarrassment!!" (Aussie pop culture reference there, sorry). Thanks Eric. ;-) The brackets have been on the car forever, it didn't occur to me that they'd be on the wrong way around. Even then I had to shorten one of the visor shafts by giving it a couple of gentle taps until it was the same length as the other one. However, factory sunvisors now fitted.

Thanks Michael, part of my problem was that I'd been given the visors from a friend with a S5, so I didn't really know if they were originals (they are in very good condition, apart from a small hole in one), or Rick's repro ones, and if they fitted only particular series. So it was a bit of try it and see.

I'm going to glue a little vinyl into the hole for now, in time I'll see if I can get the hole vinyl-welded, but they are functional.
Cheers,
Paul.