• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. fastfrontier17

LHS Dovetail

Anyone have a LH side (US driver side) dovetail fitting with good chrome and no cracks?
  2. fastfrontier17

Foggy Fuel Gauge

Hi all, Just a quick question. My fuel gauge on my S2 fogs up a little after starting the car. I presume there's a seal and moisture is just clinging to little bits of dust. Does the gauge have a rubber seal, and if so is there a source for replacement?
  3. fastfrontier17

32/36 Fuel Line Routing

My series ii came to me with a 32/36. The fuel pump has a hard line that turns 90° and runs in front of the valve cover (under the expansion tank). The hard line stops near the center line of the car, and rubber fuel line makes the rest of the distance to the carb. I have the line routed so that...
  4. fastfrontier17

Known Ignition Switch Issues

Hi all, Trying to do some route cause from afar. My car has a relatively new battery and when pressing the button on the starter solenoid (or crossing the terminals with a screw driver), the starter will engage. When trying to use the ignition switch, the solenoid clicks and after 5 seconds or...
  5. fastfrontier17

Drain Plug Threads

Can someone tell me what the correct threads are? I ordered a replacement drain plug from sunbeam specialities, and it appears different and doesn't thread in to either the oil or transmission drains. Both the oil and trans plugs work in either whole. The SS packaging said series I - V...
  6. fastfrontier17

Early Series OD Relay Location

My SII with mechanical tach has a firewall penetration right next to the OD relay (passenger side of firewall). The penetration for the cable and the threaded holes for the relay appear to be original to the car, but the relay wires rub on the tach cable. The tach cable that came with the car...
  7. fastfrontier17

Ballast Needed with Pertronix Ignitor?

I have a pertronix ignitor on my SII 1600. The coil appears stock, and is measuring 1.5-1.6 ohms at around 70°F. The car came with an aftermarket 2 ohm ballast resistor. I have read on this forum that a ballast resistor is more intended for cars with points, and may not be required with an...
  8. fastfrontier17

Neg to Post Earth & Back Again

Hi all, Just wanted to ask a quick question. When I got my car, the battery was hooked up such that it was positive earth, however, there was a note in the bottom of the tray that said the car had been converted to negative earth. I found this note when I went to replace the battery with a...
  9. fastfrontier17

Exhaust Manifold Studs

Hi all, after taking off my header(s) on my SII 1600, I found two middle holes had 5/16 bolts in lieu of studs. One hole was stripped, and the other appeared to be UNF and not UNC. The remaining lower outside remain as UNF/UNC 1.25" studs. Would there be any benefit to installing helicoils and...
  10. fastfrontier17

Head gasket/Rebuild Time

Doing a timing cover update along with replacing some misc gaskets. I took the 1-4 header off and noticed some crystalized yellow deposits in the exhaust runner. I haven't drained the oil yet, but the oil under the valve cover was clean, and there was no smoke in the exhaust the last it ran...
  11. fastfrontier17

SAE 30 for Trans

Hi all, I've been trying to read through some previous threads on which oil would be best for an OD gearbox. I've seen a lot of people recommending straight non-detergent SAE 30. Are all non-detergent SAE 30's the same? I found a good deal on 6 quarts on Amazon wherein the title lists it as...
  12. fastfrontier17

Replacement Overdrive Switch

Does anyone know of a proper replacement overdrive switch for a series ii? My current switch is for a '62 TR4 and is intended to go on the left hand side of the TR4 column, which means when on the RH side of my beams' column it points in towards the dash. It's functional, but doesn't look right...
  13. fastfrontier17

Rubber Timing Cover Gasket

Hi all, I installed a modified timing cover from alpine innovations. I picked up their rubber timing cover gasket while I was at it, and my concern is that it compresses a good bit and squeezes out the side. I asked Jerome about this and was advised to not torque the cover bolts as much, but I...
  14. fastfrontier17

K20 Series III Project

Not sure if this is a member on the SAOCA or not, but I wanted to share this forum post I saw on grass roots motorsports. Very interesting project. My first "car" in college was a 2003 RSX Type-S which used a K20A2. I put down 210 hp to the wheels on a dyno dynamics chassis dyno with just...
  15. fastfrontier17

Timing Cover Fit w/ New Tensioner

Hi all, I just installed a new timing cover with integrated oil seal from Alpine Innovations. During the install, I had to replace the rubber chain tensioner as the old one came off in pieces. When beginning to loosely fit the new cover, I noticed I had to push the cover towards the driver side...
  16. fastfrontier17

100LL AV Gas

Hi guys, This doesn't necessarily pertain to modified only, but I figured since it was about 100 octane aviation fuel I'd have better luck here where octane level might matter more. With my 2 smoke dirt bikes I typically run 93 octane in the winters, but in the hot summers I use 100 octane low...
  17. fastfrontier17

1600 isky in 1725

I have a spare 1725, and was told it had an isky cam for a 1600. When I heard the engine run it didn't sound much different than stock, so it must be very mild. I realize the oil pump gears are different and they can be swapped to make it work. Can anyone tell me if this has been done before and...
  18. fastfrontier17

Iran Sunbeam Engine?

This image was on Instagram with a Sunbeam tag. Anyone know anything about it?
  19. fastfrontier17

Crank Bolt Replacement

Hi all, I'm replacing the timing cover in my 1600 and just removed the crank pulley. I used some extensions and a torque wrench on a castellated nut and out came a stud. Is it recommended to replace this combo with a bolt or reuse the original hardware?
  20. fastfrontier17

Fuel Filters

I am using a 1/4" fuel filter to a weber 32/36 on a stock 1600. I have no doubt this little filter below can handle the fuel flow, but I often see these little guys listed for lawn mowers, dirt bikes, etc stating they can handle up to 80 hp. I don't think a stock, 60 year old 1600 has any issue...