• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Early Series OD Relay Location

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
My SII with mechanical tach has a firewall penetration right next to the OD relay (passenger side of firewall). The penetration for the cable and the threaded holes for the relay appear to be original to the car, but the relay wires rub on the tach cable. The tach cable that came with the car was burnt, possibly from a short, and the location of the cable/relay seem like a design afterthought. Am I the only one who thinks this?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
My tach cable has a plastic outer coating and insulated terminals on the relay, but yes, it's a close fit !

Thinking I'll reroute the cable tomorrow, thank you very much.

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
My tach cable has a plastic outer coating and insulated terminals on the relay, but yes, it's a close fit !

Thinking I'll reroute the cable tomorrow, thank you very much.
my replacement cable has a black plastic cover, the old one was some type of steal braid or wrap...some of the original plastic covers had worn on the wires going to the terminal, but still way too close...maybe i can find another penetration and custom grommet to use, not to keen on drilling a new hole though

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah, wondering if you could discreetly install a zip tie somewhere to keep it away from the relay terminals.

Mine is rhd so have the added problem of the brake master to negotiate as well; strange that I don't ever recall seeing this raised as a topic before.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
my replacement cable has a black plastic cover, the old one was some type of steal braid or wrap...some of the original plastic covers had worn on the wires going to the terminal, but still way too close...maybe i can find another penetration and custom grommet to use, not to keen on drilling a new hole though

If a Ty wrap is not useable speed shops have adel clamps with rubber

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just remember, the tach cable should not be routed with sharp bends because that would tend to bind the inner drive cable.