• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'And the Fun Begins!'

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok, done, after only a few days I now hold the Title (well, the 'official' one will arrive in the mail) of a California vehicle that no longer existed on the CA DMV Database, had no Title, no Registration, or any paperwork from the seller and not even a name or address of who/where the seller got the car from.

What had to be done was this. Basically, as far as the CA DMV was concerned the car did not exist anymore so a paper trail had to be established beginning with the seller. First, as always, a Bill Of Sale REG 135, then the seller had to fill out and sign a Statement Of Facts REG 256 that explains his side of the where, how, when, liens, no available paperwork, of whom history and value of the vehicle (I don't remember but it's under $4,000 that was a good thing) but which has to be worded correctly to avoid the DMV labeling the vehicle a Salvage, that you want to avoid. Next the seller had to fill out and sign a Certificate Of Non-Operation REG 102 stating the vehicle 'was not' ever driven by him. That takes care of the sellers side of things.

Now the buyer also has to fill out and sign a Statement Of Facts that explains his side of the where, how, when, no available paperwork, of whom history and value of the vehicle. The buyer also has to fill out and sign a Certificate Of Non-Operation stating as a Non-Op the vehicle 'will not' be driven by him until Registered. In addition an Application For Title Or Registration REG 343 and then the VIN needs to be verified using the Verification Of Vehicle REG 31 form. Because of the cost of renting a truck and auto trailer to haul the car to AAA I opted to have a mobile VIN Verification Service come to my home. It was legal, quick, easy, done the same day I called and about the same cost.

http://www.vinverifyplace.com/dnn/default.aspx

This is only to title a non-operational vehicle until it's ready to be driven and then it will need to be registered, plates assigned and possibly re-inspected for road worthiness by the DMV. It's also at that time that I'll submit the Year Of Make Program form to the DMV to use the black plates.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is the part that would scare me if you're using a later motor. Any chance that '74 V6 is still available up in Visalia? At least it's pre-smog.

Hi John,

I will have to get clarification on the re-inspect for registration. The AAA clerk said that's the order of things but the Title Inspector said she had never heard of that.

Has registering an Alpine after installing a non-stock engine been a problem in the past?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
When I took my V6 in to retitle and reg it, there was an issue thet required a vin inspection, but the original plate had been lost in the restoration..... The inspectors looked for the "secret" ID numbers and couldn't find them. Nor did they notice the V6. A car that old, I doubt it would be an issue.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well I can rest easy now knowing that I bought a good project car. A very knowledgeable Nick (Series 6) stopped by and gave it a thorough go through. The positives far outweighed the negatives which was nice to hear.

While keeping my eye out for conversion parts I can now start to take apart and dismantle the car all the while taking pictures of what goes where and how. I'd love to see this thing stripped and on a rotisserie:D

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
The out of town Family visitors are gone now so I can finally start on the Alpine. The car is still exactly as I found it, everything covered in dust, dirt, grime and spider webs. I'd like to wheel it out onto the sunny driveway and hit the entire thing, top and bottom, interior and exterior with a power washer (on low pressure) then let it all dry out. Only thing is, I know I should probably remove stuff first I suppose. I'm a little worried that water will get into (seep or forced) places that it never had with the hardtop on and now begin to rust/corrode. Such as inside gauges and behind panels. But it would be nice get have it all rinsed off before rolling it back into the garage before disassembly.

If yours started out as one, what did you guys do with your newly acquired dirty mess before beginning work on it?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bad idea

Power washing the interior. Wear good dust mask or a 1/4 cup to 1 gal of bleach with kill some bacteria in the rodent poo.

Blast the outside and underside if you want. All you have to loose by starting the paperwork and getting it verified is the fees for the registration as even if you non op it right away.

Should you blast the body with the vin attached you risk messing it up. Don't want it messed up till its clear and titled. It has nice original rivets and it is cheap piece of mind to clear the car before you are 100% sure it is legal.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Well I can rest easy now knowing that I bought a good project car. A very knowledgeable Nick (Series 6) stopped by and gave it a thorough go through. The positives far outweighed the negatives which was nice to hear.

While keeping my eye out for conversion parts I can now start to take apart and dismantle the car all the while taking pictures of what goes where and how. I'd love to see this thing stripped and on a rotisserie:D

You give me way too much credit.

Truth is, I hate his car. :D The doors on his project fit better than than the ones on my runner. Except for the DPO's goof on the front, Mike's car is a wonderful project. Zero rust that I could find.

Looks like Southern California/Arizona will be the Darkside capitol soon. Glad to have you aboard Mike.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
You give me way too much credit.

Truth is, I hate his car. :D The doors on his project fit better than than the ones on my runner. Except for the DPO's goof on the front, Mike's car is a wonderful project. Zero rust that I could find.

Looks like Southern California/Arizona will be the Darkside capitol soon. Glad to have you aboard Mike.

Thanks Nick and I really appreciate you coming over my friend.

When you mentioned taking a power washer to it did you mean 'as it is' or should I remove anything first?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Power washing the interior. Wear good dust mask or a 1/4 cup to 1 gal of bleach with kill some bacteria in the rodent poo.

Blast the outside and underside if you want. All you have to loose by starting the paperwork and getting it verified is the fees for the registration as even if you non op it right away.

Should you blast the body with the vin attached you risk messing it up. Don't want it messed up till its clear and titled. It has nice original rivets and it is cheap piece of mind to clear the car before you are 100% sure it is legal.

Hi Warren.

The car has been Titled now and legally in my name as a Non-Op until I register it for the road. But I will be careful around that VIN tag.

I know what you mean about the Hantavirus, scary stuff in a car that was home to rodents for God knows how long. When I was in my 20's I was one of 14 cases of Hantavirus on the west coast that year after contracting it from airborne rodent feces while camping in eastern Oregon. Half of those cases succumbed to the disease. My EMT girlfriend saved my life when I went comatose and into respiratory arrest. Two weeks in the ICU made me a believer in wearing dust masks around stuff like this.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
When you mentioned taking a power washer to it did you mean 'as it is' or should I remove anything first?

I'd strip out the seats, carpeting and panels. Anything that might retain moisture after the decreepycrawler blasting. Probably pull the wiring and dash.

Hantavirus scares the crap out of me.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ah, it's killing me. I'm on the tail end of a 72hr shift so I haven't been home in awhile. Tomorrow, if all go's well I'll be removing the dashboard, panels, seats and carpeting for a thorough power washing of the Alpine, let it all dry out and then back into the garage minus the spiders and varmit poop, should be fun.

Also, an extra V6 Jose Kit that Jim in Vegas had should be arriving tomorrow, nice.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
I don't anticipate any problems with the "let it dry out" part, but if you'd like to avoid my derp about the dash remember to telescope the steering wheel out as far as possible once you' find all the bolts and get that bottom rail off.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't anticipate any problems with the "let it dry out" part, but if you'd like to avoid my derp about the dash remember to telescope the steering wheel out as far as possible once you' find all the bolts and get that bottom rail off.

Thanks John, I'll be sure and do that.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Several days after the first package, the second package of the V6 Jose Conversion Kit arrived. UPS bungled this one and sent it in a different direction from the first. On top of that, unlike the first package the second one arrived beat up, taped up and looking as though it had been opened and resealed. Hopefully nothing fell out during the transit debacle. Here's a pic of the contents, if you guys see anything missing let me know so that I can get UPS looking for parts right away.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tVDFTo9v5EjZZO2uJAhyhIntkADJF1Oi_4sy_Tg8sZA?feat=directlink

Mike

gordonra

Donation Time
Several days after the first package, the second package of the V6 Jose Conversion Kit arrived. UPS bungled this one and sent it in a different direction from the first. On top of that, unlike the first package the second one arrived beat up, taped up and looking as though it had been opened and resealed. Hopefully nothing fell out during the transit debacle. Here's a pic of the contents, if you guys see anything missing let me know so that I can get UPS looking for parts right away.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tVDFTo9v5EjZZO2uJAhyhIntkADJF1Oi_4sy_Tg8sZA?feat=directlink

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't see two items in the lot.

1. Clutch slave bracket
2. Header bolts

You should ask the seller if they were included when he sent them. I believe the earlier kits did not have the clutch slave bracket. The bracket isn't that complicated to make if the seller doesn't have it, or if Jose has trouble supplying you one.

Header bolts are easy to get at most any parts store.

Rich

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Rich.

There are 12 shorter black bolts and 4 longer silver bolts/w nuts in the package on the bottom of the pic. I thinks thats them. But I dont think I have the Clutch Slave Bracket.