• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'And the Fun Begins!'

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Jim, I'm making the rounds before 1) the end of summer and 2) while my car is still running great ;)

Yes, they are better, but not really that great. I noticed some uneven wear on the inside of the drums so I had them re-checked for round. The shop was able to cut them both smooth so I can for sure eliminate the drums themselves from being a problem.

I think I'll see if I can adjust any more slack out of them. One member here told me even after a full brake job, bleed and adjustment, his brakes work fine but no matter how hard he stomps on the brakes he can't lock them up so you can't expect the old stock technology to be capable allot of braking power.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's finished! (or, is that what we all mistakenly think at one time or another ;) )

The last part of the puzzle in my plans for the resurrected Alpine, I finally got ahold of a set of solid wheel trim rings (thanks Brian!), shined'em up, checked'em for true and popped them on, wallah!

https://goo.gl/photos/c6T32LfQit2fQHmw7

Now I can crack open a beer, put the radio on and finally spend the afternoon cleaning up the garage and getting it back in order :D

EDIT: Before you ask, 'another Alpine project coming?', actually, believe it or not, it'll be an airplane and I'll fly it when I'm done! :)

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yesterday evening was the last Encinitas Classic Car Night of the season (winter is on its way here in So. Cal., it'll be a frigid 60 degrees in no time, brrrrr :rolleyes: :D ).

Get there early, grab a prime spot, step into the pub, grab a pint and enjoy the show.

https://goo.gl/photos/J4QJ4GjEpfZtXMbG9

There was a huge turnout, many classic cars, antiques, Woodies, hot rods and one, only one, Sunbeam, my V6 Alpine. Once again, amongst all the others it stood out on its own as something really different and uncommon from all the rest. And once again I had many interested and curious onlookers that would gather around and speculate about the manufacturer, year and...'that 4 cylinder, oh wait, nah those had V8's....that's a V.....V6?, cool!, were very many made with V6's in them?':). Kinda cool that the 2.8 fits so nicely that people would think it came stock that way.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
My V6 Series IV Alpine generates the same reaction at all the local shows and even at the annual British Car Show in Dallas.
Some fun, eh?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I guess it's ok since this is in the "modified" section. But, in case you care, I believe the "stock" rings were smaller and actually fit inside of the outside edge of the rims. So you'd have white wheel, ring, white inside wheel, then hub cap.

That said, I never understood that set up and like this style ring better.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Jay, these are the stock Alpine wheel rings you described, right?

https://goo.gl/photos/VAyemGist1VQStqR8

..... though not stock for the SV :)

The generic chrome center caps I bought online and modified to fit from the inside out, just to cover the crappy looking hubs and offset the chrome rings. Not real keen on the stock SV 'dog bowl' hub caps.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Yeah, those are the ones I was thinking of.

I didn't know they were not the same across the range - except for those full wheel ones with the cut outs in them - pictured below. I like those even less! And I think there may have been two versions of those. But I thought those were the "deluxe" rings and the smaller rings were still available for the SV.

Learn something new every day.

Attachments

• Alpine rings.jpg
    Alpine rings.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 24

65beam

Donation Time
begins

The small rings were used thru series 4 production. The full ring was used on series 5. There was another version of the full ring with a cross hatch pattern used on some tigers but not Alpines.