• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'And the Fun Begins!'

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, I finally got all the pics uploaded to Picasa. The car is just as I found it. Later I took the front bumper off to show the front end damage better. Hopefully I did it right and the links work........

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCI3h1M600anFkAE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCNLirsXzmMypjAE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCLKXsdqkk_-sjQE&feat=directlink

Before and after cleaninup with a power washer, a little elbow grease, spit and polish......

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6qjOfsvbeqDg&feat=directlink

Here's a few more. There were two different seat covers on. The first was the tan shaggy slip over and underneath that the second looked as though it came from the factory. It was the same blue color as the carpet and neatly attached the seat with chrome looking screws. After I took both those off I just wiped down the seats with a damp cloth. Not bad, some complimentary open seems and compressed areas where they should be.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCNyTiMWbs6OQwgE&feat=directlink

Last edited:

greenbean

Donation Time
Cool -- even looks like you have period correct license plates in the trunk --- a much desired item in my book:):)

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks. Ya, the plates are the '63 Series and the first three letters are correct for the year the car was registered, 1967. The seller wanted to keep them for one of his two Bug Eyed Sprites but I really wanted them to stay with the car they were issued to which is this Alpine.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Hi Mike.
I see you got hard top and soft top. SCORE .
Is'nt it fun finding all the goodies the PO hid in the car. I too have origonal black licence plates but did'nt think much of it until a couple of recent posts pointed out the desireability.
Im heading off now to read your posts about tracking down this baby. congrats.:D

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Chuck, thanks.

Actually, the hardtop had been sold. I first saw this Alpine on CraigsList and mulled over it for a few days while seeing what else might pop up and to meet some of the guys on here at a local Cars & Coffee event. A forum member here (Warren) posted that he had bought a hardtop off a guy that was selling an Alpine that was pretty straight and had little rust. It was the same one I had been mulling over. I contacted Warren since he was familiar with the car and it's seller. After a few more days of waiting for the seller to call me back when he did I went straight over and bought it.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Hi again Mike. Just read your previous posts and realised that the hardtop was not part of the deal! No problem, looks like you have a good foundation for a great car. Another one saved. (we all hope!).
Not to hijack your thread but Im on my way to SanDeigo in the morning to deliver a Mutt 2.8 for Stomb's in process conversion.
Have fun.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi again Mike. Just read your previous posts and realised that the hardtop was not part of the deal! No problem, looks like you have a good foundation for a great car. Another one saved. (we all hope!).
Not to hijack your thread but Im on my way to SanDeigo in the morning to deliver a Mutt 2.8 for Stomb's in process conversion.
Have fun.

If I wasn't on 24hour duty tomorrow I'd be home and have you over Chuck.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Judging by the pics, the car looks to be a very good restoration project - lots of sound metal there. You will need deep pockets and unlimited enthusiasm but it will be worth it. Good luck.

SoCalpine

Donation Time
Looks like you have your work cut out for you, and a lot of fun ahead. On the plates, I don't think you can put '63 plates on a '67 car. The YOM program requires, I think, that you have plates issued in the year of manufacture, or in the case of series cars the year of first sale. There are a lot of collectors for black plates, with restored or pristine sets going for up to $500. There was a big dealer at the Long Beach auto swap meet who had quite a few and others with a few plates so if you want to trade the ones you have for ones stamped '67 you can probably make that work. Someone out there has a '63 Bel-Air that just doesn't look right with those white plates with the red sticker and the website at the bottom.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
...WOW!...Five hundred bucks. Any one need a pristine pair of Calf 1932 plates? Black and gold color, at that price they could be made of gold. Actually gave them to my daughter to hang on her antiques wall a few years ago. Maybe I'll go steal them back.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Just added the car to the Registry. One thing I noticed, and I don't know if it's unusual, is that the VIN# and Engine Block# does not match, should it?

VIN# B 395009391 (~4/7-4/10 1967)
Engine Block# B 395010255 (~6/2-6/5 1967)

After the paperwork goes through I'll be making an appointment at AAA for a VIN Verification to get the vehicle Titled/Registered. I'll have to find out if not having an engine in the car will be a problem or if required to have one will the #'s not matching up also be a problem.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Would be interested in an account of your experence with AAA and DMV. I gather that your car has not been registered for some years. Since getting my car some 10 or 12 years back and being unsure what Id be doing with it I never bothered with paperwork. Now Im not sure I ever had a pink slip!
Keep us posted on jumping through hoops at the DMV.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Before I bought it Warren let me know that using the plates for reference he found it was off the grid, no record at the DMV. I called my local AAA office and was told after a couple forms had been processed it would just be a matter of bringing it over to one of their offices and having a visual inspection of the VIN and plates done to get it Titled.

kmathis

Donation Time
Hey, Mike:

I looked at all of your pictures, it is good to take pictures of everything, that way you know how far you have come. Nice project, just needs a bit of TLC.:)

Let me know if you need anything.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey, Mike:

I looked at all of your pictures, it is good to take pictures of everything, that way you know how far you have come. Nice project, just needs a bit of TLC.:)

Let me know if you need anything.

Thanks you Kelly.

I love originality. One of my favorite things is to see cars as they were found, dirty, smelly, spider webs, flat tires ect. Those super expensive rare barn finds that get rolled into those big time auctions are really cool in my book. I know that once I can't help myself from wiping things off and removing stuff it will never again be as it was found. So ya, lots of documentation pics :D

The car does have some originality still, at least to my untrained eye. Looks like original paint, carpet, interior panels, dashboard, shifter, seats and I think, convertible top. The blue seat covers are very old and match the carpets/paint and were attach with nice finish hardware to the seats so I wonder if those are like an original factory option or accessory you could order. Under old carpet that seems as though it hadn't been lifted since new I opened the battery box lid and found the inside to be clean, shiny new looking with an original 'looking' battery, cables and foam element of the top of one of the post connections. Does anybody have a picture of an original stock battery box to compare?

Are there any obscure or 'usually not still there' items to look for when looking for original parts?