• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

'And the Fun Begins!'

gordonra

Donation Time
Hey Mike,

I'd love to come down to check out the new acquisition sometime if you wouldn't mind.

Let me know if a weekend visit is good for you.

Rich

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey Mike,

I'd love to come down to check out the new acquisition sometime if you wouldn't mind.

Let me know if a weekend visit is good for you.

Rich

Hey, anytime Rich, you guys know that:) I'd love to get your guys expertise and opinions on the car in general and what to do next.

I've been reading up on getting the car Titled, Registered, and being able to use the original '63 Black California Plates. One of the major obstacles is having the original tag for the year the car was first registered still on the plate. Luckily my back plate, and not the weathered and bent from the front-end wreck front plate, has the tags still on it, in several old layers of coarse. I looked up what the color for the 1967 tag was and lo and behold I could see what appeared to be the very edge of the original 1967 blue tag underneath all the others. I used a magnifying glass, hair dryer and razor blade to slowly and methodically peal back the other tags and there it was after some 45yrs the original blue 1967 tag looking shiny and almost new, nice.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I used a magnifying glass, hair dryer and razor blade to slowly and methodically peal back the other tags and there it was after some 45yrs the original blue 1967 tag looking shiny and almost new, nice.

There you go... Automotive archeology at its finest....:D

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yom

Go to Cadmv.gov and keyword YOM you must have a sticker for the year the car is Mike is cool with the 67 he uncovered. The plates most often have a 63 stamped in them so its easy to show up at DMV with a naked plate no stickers but stamped 63.

I have a perfect original 67 sticker in the package case I ever stumble on a MK2 or a worthy 67 something....

My AAA has sent me to DMV with stale off system cars with no paperwork. The rule was before YOM that you had to have a registration or title tying the plate to the car. At some point as we run out of numbers Blue plates may be added to YOM. YOM also makes CA more dough as they cannot be Non Op vehicles
crafty wankers them DMV types.

I have done 2 motorcycle and 1 car thru YOM.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice Pics

I meant to say in the previous post that the clock is a Alpine specific one. I was am looking for a generator model amp meter, this car has an alt. I would also like the Tiger earlier Alpine clock with the red hands and lower adjusters at about 4 and 7 o'clock. I have bits to trade.

I like that one tho it is correct 2x per day

Oh and Mike I have some much better core bumpers if you are going to start collecting bits.

Cheers W.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On your clock, there's a guy that offers a non-destructive update I'm thinking about using this winter. He installs a quartz regulating circuit that interfaces with the existing circuit in a non-invasive, completely removable way. (The guy does cooling and solid-state circuit replacements, mostly for Jags.) He goes by Cool Cat (not Ed, "our" Cool Cat, though), as in cooling Jaguars.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Would be interested in an account of your experence with AAA and DMV. I gather that your car has not been registered for some years. Since getting my car some 10 or 12 years back and being unsure what Id be doing with it I never bothered with paperwork. Now Im not sure I ever had a pink slip!
Keep us posted on jumping through hoops at the DMV.

Hi Chuck.

I spent some time over at my local AAA office. As I kinda expected, just having a Bill of Sale for a vehicle missing the Title and Registration won't get you anywhere here in CA. Luckily the seller is nice enough to let come back again to get additional paperwork completed. According to AAA the seller needs to fill out a Certificate of Non-Operation and Statement of Facts which will pretty much explain how he found the car, where it's been parked since then, it's non-operation and non existence of any paperwork. Then I pretty much have to do the same as the buyer. That's just to get things started and let the seller be finally done with the sale of the vehicle.

Again, according to AAA, once that paperwork is done and submitted then comes the Vehicle VIN Inspection (just to verify the VIN on the paperwork matches the car) which I think is different from a Vehicle Inspection for road worthiness (everything necessary for the car to drive on the road is working properly). I say that because I remember one person saying just to haul the car in on a trailer and they'll verify the VIN but another person said don't bother bringing a car in that's not totally complete (specifically, engine, tranny, seats, steering wheel) otherwise it won't even be considered an automobile and they wont inspect it (telling me a story of a guy that brought a 'hot rod' in that didn't of a hood or fenders so they wouldn't even inspect it:eek:). Since my car doesn't have an engine (it's out of the car in pieces) and no tranny I'm hoping the 'trailer it in as is' will be good enough for just the Title.

They also said that in order to use the original black plates, even tho they were issued to that vehicle, I would have to go to the DMV, not AAA, and fill out more paperwork (probably the YOM Program stuff Warren was referring to) and get the plates inspected for serviceability (straight, legible, correct '63 stamp and 67 tag if it's still there). Which makes me nervous since the front plate took a hit it's bent up and one of the letters is partially missing the yellow paint off it.

So that part of the saga continues:(.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't touch up the plate. In Florida, a repainted plate won't pass muster. But once the plate is authenticated then there are tag restoration places that can restore it to like issued condition.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Thanks for the update Mike. My head is spinning! I cant imangine a problem with the damage on the front plate. Pretty obvious its parking wear and tear rather than tampering.
Good luck.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plate

Straighten it out as much as you can the go over with 600 or heavy duty rubbing compound. You do not want it to look mutilated. There are lots of posts on brother forums and many methods of repair/painting. Google California black plate restoration.

Maybe a light resto is in order just so they will not say no as the front looks questionable. You must have both plates when applying for the YOM and since you have no title or old registration copy tying the plate to the car you have gotta go YOM.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
If you have to present with engine and trans, it'll only take a half day or less to pop it in. Skipping the hook-up and getting it running, of course. On edit -- I see you might need to borrow a trans...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Flatbed

When I looked at the car on line and before I drove nearly 2 hours to see it I call AAA and asked them if the car owed any DMV fees. If you are in Cali. no way of escaping those fees. The car was off computer so on I went.

The car will need to be inspected and sans title DMV will forward applications to CHP and according to their rules they will not give a 1 day permit to use roads so a trailer must be used. Always a good idea that you get paperwork done first as a car could be off DMV computer and end up being the property of a insurance company that paid out or a victim of a theft.

Better safe than sorry, my motorcycle buddies show them frames and rollers sans motors all the time.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks guys.

I've made several trip to AAA (avoiding the Hell of a DMV Office if I can), a half dozen calls to DMV and several trips back to the seller in order to get forms signed, info documented and even specific wording of descriptions/events correct. So far, the car is now in the system. I only have to get a 'VIN Inspection'.

I've been told there are only two options nowadays for a non-op roller to get inspected. Either trailer it in to AAA (first come first serve) or the DMV (next appointment available is late August:eek:) or you can have a Titling Inspection Service come to your home. Now I thought that there are two different Inspections, one just to verify the VIN only and the other more extensive road worthiness to egt the vehicle registered for operations on the street. But the folks at AAA say it doesn't have to run but it must be a 'whole car' to do any inspection, quote "it has to have an engine, tires/wheels, seats and a steering wheel". So, I bolted back in not much more than the engine block of it's dismantled rusted engine, starter, alternator and a few hoses and wires just to make the engine compartment look full of something when they open the hood (I put the bolts back in the hinges) to look at the VIN tag. I put enough stuff in there so it's difficult to see if there's a tranny but with the gear shifter in place it looks like theres one from in the cab:D

I'll let you guys know which method of Inspection I end up doing and the results. It looks like a 'whole car' with an un-molested VIN tag and CA plates so I might be ok.

As far as using the original black plates that will have to be done later at the DMV through their YOM Program and I'll be sure to make them a little more presentable.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I bought my Series II in 1983 it did not come w/ a title and the seller was not going to put any effort into finding it. For $75.00 I didn't argue but I did check DMV and found it was not registered in my state. The actual owner was an military career person and had left it w/ a relative where it had set behind a tobacco barn for years. The relative wanted it gone.
To get a title then, I bought a bill of sale from a "dealer' in another state that still used a bill of sale as title. Pretty cheap in 1983.
My state accepted the BoS and issued a title quickly.
Some things about the good old days were good.

mferris

Donation Time
I'm in the same state as BullDurham - I had a title from another state, but no VIN (nor ID plates other than imprinted block number) on my SV:

I'm on my:

- 2nd trip to the "NC License and Theft Bureau", which spent an hour looking for an ID number that I told them was not there, then filed for a new, state "VIN" (they wouldn't accept the number on the engine - even though it matched the orig title).

- 3rd trip to the DMV, which lost my Title application between state agencies (and I thought I was done)

- 2nd trip to my insurance company, which 1) failed to sign the Bond for the car the first time 2) called it a coupe then the state said it was a convertible so back I went

I bought the car last October, got it running by Jan, the filed in March for the Title, and I'm still waiting on something. Then once I get the new engine in it - I'll have to restart most of the above .

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
And the fun begins

So heres the title woe's were going thru,we bought a Tiger some time back
no title bill of sale only,when we went to register the car here in Indiana we were told can't register with out a Title,or won't would be a better statememt
however you can go to court and have the court direct the BMV to issue the
title, so we did all that got the directive from the court and then had to fill
out another ream of paperwork to apply for a title, so this started in MAY its now August and we still haven't seen the title which we have to have to register the car CAN YOU SAY BUREAUCRATIC MORAS!