• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vicki the Alpine, sick needs help!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Re cleaning off the gas - no worries - when you hit it with that propane torch that gas will clean off really fast. ;)

(I do agree with you though!)

The bigger less obvious problem though is the varnish residue, you wont be able to solder with it.

You also must be sure the brake cleaner is totally evaporated from the piece before putting a torch to it. From what I read, the nasties in the brake cleaner turn to phosgene or something equally toxic...

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I would use lacquer thinner.will clean the varnish residue and will wipe very clean .wash again and wipe clean with a clean rag.Still thinners are just as flammable as gasoline.Let dry thoroughly.with thinners you be fine with a good coat of flux
Use lots of flux

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Wahooo She Lives Again!

:D I did it ordered the new brass floats from Carbs Unlimited and a new gasket, did the 3 day express since I wanted it back together before I forgot how I took it all apart, this is my first carburetor fix. Got the parts this morning and got it all back together and she started right up, running no problems, no gas leaks by the fuel pump, so were back on the road. FYI I did have the spark plugs wires flipped the two in the middle, bad Donna. Now if any one would like to attempt a fix my old floats PM me your snail mail address and I will send them to you, not like they are doing me any good...LOL I took a short movie to post on my facebook of my success, Dad was right I should of took small engine repair instead of Mechanical Drafting but then grease under a womens fingernails is not very active, I know mechanic all use surgical gloves now!

Donna
:cool:

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I said:
I have my money on swapped wires! Note that the two plugs that were loose and thus changed were the middle two. Those are the easiest pair of wires to swap! VERY easy to misconnect the plug wires to #2 and #3 plugs.

Donna said:
FYI I did have the spark plugs wires flipped the two in the middle, bad Donna.

Donna, Easy to do. Common error. Bummer that the carbie went bad around the same time. Adds to the confusion. That old "combination of ingredients" problem. And congrats on fixing the carb. Nice work!

Group, Do I get a prize?
Tom

anduril3019

Donation Time
... Dad was right I should of took small engine repair instead of Mechanical Drafting but then grease under a womens fingernails is not very active, I know mechanic all use surgical gloves now!

Donna
:cool:

One correction, some guys find just a touch of grease under a woman's fingernails attractive.;)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
One correction, some guys find just a touch of grease under a woman's fingernails attractive.;)

That and the scent of a little petrol behind each ear will send me 'round the twist. :eek:

Group, Do I get a prize?
Tom

And hey, hang on there Tom... check up the list here... I bagged it before you did! :D

OK, not to think you're daft, but are you sure you put the plug wires back on the proper plugs? ...

Next, I'd fix those carbs... Drop the fuel bowls and check the floats...

Seriously, though, Donna, VERY nice job. We're proud to call you one of us. :)

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
And hey, hang on there Tom... check up the list here... I bagged it before you did! :D

Actually if we're chest pounding check post # 2 in this thread :)

Tom j

Good job Donna !

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom J, Kevin, Both you guys "suggested" where to look. I "put money" on it! :D.

Tom H

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ahh.. three men arguing over a bet while a woman watches. Will life ever change? :D LOL!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Test Drive Today!

Ahh.. three men arguing over a bet while a woman watches. Will life ever change? :D LOL!

More like 3-men arguing while a woman Get's R Done...LOL

Hubby Jim gets home after dark now but as soon as he walked in the front door last night, honey look what I got done today! So out to the garage and I hop in and fire her up! :D :D
Test drive today to town and back!
Thank you my Sunbeam Owners/mechanic's for the support! I had my doubts when Jim stood by my Vicki and said, "I don't work on carburetors" I thought I might be taking on more then I could put back together. What I did learn is a carburetor is complex but actual kind of delicate for mechanical moving parts, and could use a women's soft touch.
Something else I learned is I have a Pertronix Ignitor and the sunbeam cap is not a replacement. I will at a later time order a new distributor cap since where it clips on it has chipped on the inside, not hurting anything just might cause problems down the road, moisture may get in but I don't drive when it rains!

Donna

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It just never hurts to watch the "doctors" at work:D

Tom j
...unless you're the patient! :)

And, Donna, careful with that 'woman's touch' and carburetors statement... you'll soon have us all sending our carbs to you for repair! :D

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
It's such a Thrill!

:D To town and back and she is running just fine, no gas leaks, no new oil leaks, no radiator leaks, no overheating, but it was only 77 degrees sunny and beautiful fall day. I love having my old Vicki back, while pulling out of Wally World I circled back and cruised past the front of the store, this older gentlemen stops in his tracks kind of just stood there, when I got close he says sorry I was just starring at your car! Jim and I in our tie dye T shirts with my 60"s Toy tag on the back, yes sir were cool! LOL

Donna

Attachments

• DSC01099.JPG
    DSC01099.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 24

RootesRich

Donation Time
Anyone ever seen "All Girls Garage"?:)

I met/ talked to Jessi Combs (the girl in the center) a few years back. She's from SD so we talked about offroading in the Black Hills and compared broken back injuries. Very nice and friendly girl; she even gave me a few tips on welding light gauge sheet metal.