• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV V6 Restoration

Andy, I just made a review of your Posts and happened to see a picture of your radiator that made me want to ask you a question.... Where does your "top" hose connect on the right or left side of the radiator?

Finally got her back on the road. What was supposed to be a 2 year restoration turned into 5 years, and will probably never be truly finished. However, I‘ve got enough trial miles on her to work out most of the kinks, and feel good about handing the keys over to my wife so she can enjoy it as her daily driver. Come winter, I’m sure there will be a list of items that need to be addressed, but for now, its time to enjoy the beautiful MT summers.

Attachments

• IMG_5968.jpeg
    IMG_5968.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5967.jpeg
    IMG_5967.jpeg
    1,018.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5966.jpeg
    IMG_5966.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5971.jpeg
    IMG_5971.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Finally got her back on the road. What was supposed to be a 2 year restoration turned into 5 years, and will probably never be truly finished. However, I‘ve got enough trial miles on her to work out most of the kinks, and feel good about handing the keys over to my wife so she can enjoy it as her daily driver. Come winter, I’m sure there will be a list of items that need to be addressed, but for now, its time to enjoy the beautiful MT summers.
Very nice work. Congratulations!

Really a looker. Congrats. As for having the project completed, it seems we never truly reach that point. There is always something that you suddenly wonder why you did it that way, or if something you just thought of might work better. In the worst cases, you decide maybe it would be best just to do it all over again. I have lost track of the number of "improvements" our car went through. Engines, transmissions, rear axle ratios, brakes (I'm talking cast iron, not pads), fans, tires, wheels, alignments. It just goes on and on. The good news, somewhere after about the 12th redo, I had a pretty damn nice road car. Made it all worth it.

The bad news is that a few years later, I knew that Father Time had changed the kind of car that we needed. Hell, maybe even erased the need for a modded Alpine! So the car in the "oven" is totally different. Auto tranny, low end torque engine mods, rack and pinion (read easier) steering. So yes, your adventure is just beginning.

Bill

Last edited:
As suspected, “finished” is a relative term. Was struggling getting it to run really well. Checked/rechecked timing and carb adjustments. Just never would really smooth out. Stalled a lot when cold. Host of other minor annoyances while driving, all related to carberation. Finally figured out that the throttle shafts were worn and I was getting a significant vacuum leak. Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a replacement carb. Nothing fancy, just a nearly identical Autolite 2150. Holy cow, what a difference! A real pleasure to drive now!

Back