• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 for sale

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Scott, did not see it sell, but from what you've said, it sounds like a bidder put in an initial bid of say, $9,975. Another bidder starts to bid, hiking the bid in small increments, but not having much luck. Decides "What the Hell, I'll just put in a max bid of $12,500". Bingo! The price jumps to the $10,000, the minimum amount over the other bider.

Bill

Yes but the $9975 bid would show.
I still wonder about this one due to the fact the bids go from $5000 and jump to $10000.There are no in between bids.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Yes, very suspicious.
Odd how the bidding jumped to EXACTLY what A I C was asking for it.
As long as the buyer (if there is one),
and the seller (if it actually sells),
are happy, good for all.

A

AlpineIan

Hey guys... I have a real cream puff S3 GT that is painted BRG (Triumph Brooklands Green) with tan interior that I'm interested in selling. Based on the S2 auction I could get 10K for this car all day long. It's very straight and clean. Was a very solid body to start with too... It's got the wood dash, wood steering wheel and hard top. Engine is 1725cc with working OD and 3.89 rear end. Chrome wire wheels.

s3_gt_1.jpg

This is a French Export car. I still need to button up some interior and carpeting. Let me know if you are interested! :rolleyes:

s3_gt_3.jpg

A

alpine in calgary

Hey guys... I have a real cream puff S3 GT that is painted BRG (Triumph Brooklands Green) with tan interior that I'm interested in selling. Based on the S2 auction I could get 10K for this car all day long. It's very straight and clean. Was a very solid body to start with too... It's got the wood dash, wood steering wheel and hard top. Engine is 1725cc with working OD and 3.89 rear end. Chrome wire wheels.

s3_gt_1.jpg

This is a French Export car. I still need to button up some interior and carpeting. Let me know if you are interested! :rolleyes:

s3_gt_3.jpg

Your kidding right Ian? I would say that car is worth a minimum of 18K :cool: .
If that sweet car is the fruit of your labour then you made a wise choice to quit the corporate job and enjoy what you do as a passion

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I see these huge jumps in eBay bidding every now and then. They don't seem to make sense, as you would expect in the case of the Calgary Alpine, the top listed bid to be only $5100 ($100 over the last top bid of $5000), unless...maybe the first bid that meets reserve is accepted regardless. Perhaps the bid even exceeded $10K, but only the previously undisclosed $10K reserve is shown.

???

A

AlpineIan

I helped the owner restore this car about 10 years ago. It does have the French data tags and French registration tags. It was restored by a French gentleman here in the states and I'm dealing with the sale of the car for him. He has a ton of money spent on the car and it's worth every penny. I personally would change a few things on it and would have painted it the original Autumn Gold, code 68 with black interior. The color combination he used is nice, but not a factory scheme.

I'll take some better pictures and post it at the site soon. I do think this is an easy 10K car. Should sell for more than that.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Yes, very suspicious.
Odd how the bidding jumped to EXACTLY what A I C was asking for it.
As long as the buyer (if there is one),
and the seller (if it actually sells),
are happy, good for all.
It is in the completed section and evidently it was sold for the $10.000.00.
Now I begin to think what I could get for my 62.
Lets see.
Hmmm
motor 8000
T5 tranny 1000

Modify for V8 2000
Install V8 1000
Ford rear end 600
Mustang spindles,Mustang rack upholstery
Get the picture
Well I think maybe 50,000 as a starting bid might persuade me to sell.

O

odl21

I see these huge jumps in eBay bidding every now and then. They don't seem to make sense, as you would expect in the case of the Calgary Alpine, the top listed bid to be only $5100 ($100 over the last top bid of $5000), unless...maybe the first bid that meets reserve is accepted regardless. Perhaps the bid even exceeded $10K, but only the previously undisclosed $10K reserve is shown.

???

yes - the first bid that is over a reserve will jump the auction upto the reserve. why is everyone being so hard on a.i.c? is there something i don't know?

A

alpine in calgary

yes - the first bid that is over a reserve will jump the auction upto the reserve. why is everyone being so hard on a.i.c? is there something i don't know?

Yes why is everyone being so hardcore on me?What can I say...I bought a super sweet miata that has been dropped 2 inches and has koni's on all corners,has a highflow performance exhaust and kickass 16" rims and soon it will be supercharged and pumping out 150 rwhp :cool: .I sold the alpine as I just would not drive it much and it would slowly deteriorate :eek:

65beam

Donation Time
series 2

10 grand is a good price for the car.i don't understand what the problem is either. i do know that 10 grand wouldn't begin to buy my wife's series 5.i believe that the value of alpines will surpass the values of MG's and TR's as time goes on.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
10 grand is a good price for the car.i don't understand what the problem is either. i do know that 10 grand wouldn't begin to buy my wife's series 5.i believe that the value of alpines will surpass the values of MG's and TR's as time goes on.
I think you are wishful thinking. What makes you think that history is going to reverse itself?

Personally, I think that the Alpine is a much better car than those already mentioned, but we Siunbeamers are too tight to pay the prices that MG and Triumph owners will pay for their cars. We Sunbeamers are the ones who keep the price of our Alpines lower.

Jose :)

A

AlpineIan

Jose,

That is the line of thinking that is causing the problem... It isn't getting any cheaper to work on Alpines and buy parts. Prices are going up and it costs the same to restore an Alpine as it does a Tiger... Same amount of time to do body work, same amount of money to buy interior parts, same amount to buy chrome, etc... my labor rates are the same regardless if it's an Alpine or a Tiger. I don't drop my rate just because it's an Alpine... I doubt anyone else does either. I'm sure that SII has 10K invested in it easy.

Tiger prices are going up and the price of the Alpine needs to be going up too. Why in the world would you want to keep the price of the car down? That is stupid. You actually want to spend your hard earned money on an Alpine and just give it away when you go to sell it?

Prices on all collectable cars are and should be going up. If the Alpine is this wonderful car that you and everyone else on this board claims it to be, then we all need to be promoting the car to increase the value. It only help us all in the long run.

It dosen't pay to be cheap with these cars. That is why there is not a good availability of new and reprooduction parts. The guys who make them happen all say that Alpine owners are too cheap and so they won't make them. As a result they make parts that are for the Tiger and we are stuck with that. Off my soap box now. ;)

65beam

Donation Time
prices

jose,

you must not get around to many meets where there are sunbeams showing up. i do. i've talked to alot of owners around the country over the years,and it's amazing what they spend on their cars.like ian said,labor rates are the same.i was at tiger auto wednesday and i bet doug charges the same rates for a tiger that he does for the TR6 and the honda that they are working on.and yes he had a couple alpines there also.look at prices being paid for parts on e bay.since nos parts are getting rare,the price is going UP! a true collector and a person with a passion for these cars is not a cheap person.yes ,there are folks out there that would gladly pay out big bucks to make their cars better if family,etc didn't come first.that limits what they can do,but it doesn't make them cheapskates.i truely believe that the value of sunbeams are growing at the same rate as anything else.ask my insurance company.

Jim E

Donation Time
There is also the age issue, what I mean is the folks who recall these carrs when they were younger and not able to have one are now of an age and in come where they can have them. I have always seen this thing with classic cars the general age groups in come catches up with desire and the price goes up, then we get older die off and the price levels or goes down. A and T fords are an obvious example of this IMO.

Hope that makes some sort of sense....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is also the age issue, what I mean is the folks who recall these carrs when they were younger and not able to have one are now of an age and in come where they can have them. I have always seen this thing with classic cars the general age groups in come catches up with desire and the price goes up, then we get older die off and the price levels or goes down. A and T fords are an obvious example of this IMO.

Hope that makes some sort of sense....

Jim, it makes sense and is the reason the Alpines value is not as high as others of the same era. Few people were familiar with Alpines when they were new. I lived in a city of 45,000 and as near as I can tell, had the only Alpine in town. As a result, most of the people of the "collecting age" have no recollection of the cars and no desire to own one.

Screw 'em.
Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
Speaking of Model T fords, I recall when I was a kid in the 60's half of any show would be Model Ts and As with guys who'd paid 10k, 12k or more for the cars. Bring that forward with inflation and it's a good chunk of change. But you don't see nearly as many anymore as this is the generation who remembers the 50s and the 60s.

65beam

Donation Time
lost cars

mike,
makes you wonder where all these cars went.i know they didn't go to street rods because most of them are glass or composite. you never see them at auctions. where are they?